Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > IPA still fermenting after six days...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 AM   #1
greg75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default IPA still fermenting after six days...

I brewed an IPA last Saturday, and ended up pitching the yeast around 7:00 p.m. Sunday morning, around 10:00, the telltale signs of fermentation were evident. By 4:00 pm, my wort was off to the races, quickly on it's way to transforming to beer. I used some ghetto methods to keep the fermentation temps between 68-70 degrees for the first four days, with little sign of slowing airlock activity. Now, here I am, going on six days after pitching, and I'm still getting bubbles in the airlock about every three seconds. The krauesin has somewhat dropped, but there's still a surprising amount of activity going on.

Now, every other brew I've done, the majority of fermentation had subsided after four days or so. These were all relatively high gravity brews, also. But this one just keeps on going. Maybe my recipe has something to do with it? It's 15 lbs. of Golden Promise, 1 lb. Crystal 20, and White Labs Pacific Ale yeast (WLP041). Is this normal, or am I right to be questioning why this is taking so long?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Leave it alone until bubbles are at least 90 seconds apart. then transfer it to the secondary. if you're not using a secondary, you may want to leave it in the primary a little longer, no more than 2 weeks, and then bottle.

Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged: Smokier Smoked Porter

Old 04-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

My ferments have been as short as 36 hours and as long as three weeks.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

My IPA's run from 4 days to 2 weeks to finish out dependent on the grain bill/mash temp/ferm. temp. I wouldn't worry a bit. Patience is a virtue that is easier to preach than practice. Just let your Hydrometer guide your hand. Oh yeah, almost forgot

RDWHAHB

Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
fiddup_is_a_middup

Recipes 

I just had an IPA that ran for 12 days, just racked it to 2ndary. Yeasties are funny like that

Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Old 04-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
perry
Recipes 

My beers often go a week to ten days, sometimes two or three weeks (I agree with others who say you should rack after a couple of weeks, although I've let it go longer than that) . I have five gallons right now on its 16th day, bubbles about eight seconds apart. If you're worried, and it's convenient, check your gravity; if it's not convenient, don't worry, it'll get there.

cheers, -p

Quick Reply