Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > IPA recipe help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew
Now why would you say that? Nugget is completely out of style for this beer. You can stick with what you want, but is a bittering hop really any old hop you want to just toss in there?
If it's high alpha, I'll use it. Sub-20 is what matters most.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapae View Post
I just realized that if I follow directions and wait 10 min after flameout before chilling, then my 12 min additions are really like 22min flavor additions. Does it work that way ? Then is my Simcoe flameout addition more like a 10 min, and going to add flavor as well as aroma?
Why would you want to wait ten minutes after flameout to begin chilling? Ignore those directions and chill that wort man!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
If it's high alpha, I'll use it. Sub-20 is what matters most.
Sub-20?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
ksut1547
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew

Sub-20?
Under 20 minute hop additions.

And I use Nugget for bittering all the time on my hoppy beers. It gives a nice firm bitterness that I personally like.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
trapae
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The waiting 10 min was in the original recipe before I started messing with it. I didn't know what it does for the taste/aroma, maybe a mini whirlpool?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #16
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapae
The waiting 10 min was in the original recipe before I started messing with it. I didn't know what it does for the taste/aroma, maybe a mini whirlpool?
Yes! WAIT!!! It's a type of hopstand, you will benefit from waiting. I sometimes go 30-45 minutes, though I'll usually chill to 180F first. Either way, give those flameout hops some time to release their goods.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
bigdongsr94
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As stated above; add them for 10 minutes but if you don't chill it is like you added 10 to all to all your hop schedule. I would chill it first to 170-180. You can read up on hop stand to understand it. I have an immersion chiller and can easily chill to 180 and stop. I have done it on another system by guesstimating how much say 60 degree tap it would take to pull the volume temp down to 180. My guesstimate worked perfectly just by multiplying the volume times temp and cross multiplying to get new volume and temp. This was done because they just chilled in a bath and that method would be difficult to hop stand. In the end either way will be good beer. If this is an a first couple of brews then I say don't add all the headache.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #18
trapae
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So I think I have settled on the almost finished recipe below for Sunday brew day. Only thing is that I want the total IBUs around 60-65 so I need to add some bitterness somewhere. I don't want the final taste too piney. I have extra columbus, nugget, cascade. Was thinking of FWH with columbus to add IBU, but don't want to add to many confusing flavors. Could just up the nugget.
Any opinions?
Thanks!

Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Color: 5.3 SRM
Bitterness: 50.9 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.065
Est FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.6%

Ingredients
Amount Name
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
8.0 oz Victory Malt
1.0 oz Nugget [13.0%] - Boil 60 min
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
0.8 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 12 min
0.5 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 12 min
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 0 min -- HOPSTAND 10 min before chilling.
2 pkgs London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028)-- starter
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days
1.0 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days

Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew View Post
Now why would you say that? Nugget is completely out of style for this beer. You can stick with what you want, but is a bittering hop really any old hop you want to just toss in there?
generally yeah. as long as it's low in cohumulone.

Pipeline:

Paterbiersbier (pils, special roast, caravienne, strisselspalt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
I just realized that if I follow directions and wait 10 min after flameout before chilling, then my 12 min additions are really like 22min flavor additions. Does it work that way ? Then is my Simcoe flameout addition more like a 10 min, and going to add flavor as well as aroma?
nah does'nt work like that.

Quote:
sounds like a hop stand for the zero minute additions. leaving the wort hot longer will certainly effect your bitterness and aroma. if you want to preserve hop aromatics (it's an IPA so you do..) then just chill it asap.

my question is how many IBU's are you getting from the initial bittering charge? i find this number fun to play with as focusing more of your total IBU's late in the boil will drastically change perceived bitterness versus adding more early on. '

for an IPA i usually try to get 30-40% of my total IBU's from bitterness. that's with a BU:GU of .7-.8. you're over 1.0 on your BU:GU so i'd shift that percentage to around 20-30%. of you IBU's in the bittering charge.

this is where you'll want to think about your bittering hop more. sometimes monsters like nugget and summit are good because you can get a nice amount of bitterness with a simple addition but sometimes you want something like cascade so you can more easily fine tune how much bitterness you're adding that isn't contributing any flavor.

Pipeline:

Paterbiersbier (pils, special roast, caravienne, strisselspalt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Quick Reply