New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > IPA and hops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svarrogh View Post
Ok, next time I'll go with 8oz minimum

What do you think about this? Never used NS before so i'm wondering is the ratio 1:1:1 good for those hops.

1oz Amarillo [10,00 %] - Boil 5min
1oz Simcoe [12,00 %] - Boil 5min
1oz Nelson Sauvin[11,00 %] - Boil 5min

1oz Amarillo [10,00 %] - Aroma Steep 20,0 min
1oz Simcoe [12,00 %] - Aroma Steep 20,0 min
1oz Nelson Sauvin [11,00 %] - Aroma Steep 20,0 min

1oz Amarillo [10,00 %] - Dry Hop 7,0 Days
1oz Simcoe [12,00 %] - Dry Hop 7,0 Days
1oz Nelson Sauvin [11,00 %] - Dry Hop 7,0 Days

1,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
That should give you huge hop flavor and aroma. What about bitterness (IBU)? Generally your total IBU's in an IPA would need to be around 1:1 for your starting gravity (for 1.060 OG you would want around 60 IBU's).

I am about to brew a red IPA using Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade in equal parts. I have not personally tried Nelson Sauvin but I hear it is good.

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
Svarrogh
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Forgot to add, I'll use 60min magnum addition to get 60 IBU. The rest is for aroma and flavor. So, your next brew will be like mine I did just with lot more hops? 1oz of each? Thanks mate

Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svarrogh View Post
Forgot to add, I'll use 60min magnum addition to get 60 IBU. The rest is for aroma and flavor. So, your next brew will be like mine I did just with lot more hops? 1oz of each? Thanks mate
Pretty much!

I find that a 60 min bittering addition for 80% of the IBU's and then 2oz at 10 min, 2oz aroma whirlpool as you cool the wort and then 2oz dry hop for 5 gallons comes out nice! You really can't go wrong with a combination of Amarillo and Simcoe, this is a very tasty combination.

Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Svarrogh
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks alot I have to brew this again ASAP! Thank you for your answers and help

Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Jayhem
Recipes 

One idea I have heard may help preserve some of the aroma flavor is to actually put a hop bag with a couple more ounces of hops in your keg to help it preserve that hoppy flavor as you drink the beer!

Also, just my personal observation: If you cold crash/gelatin your beer after primary fermentation and once it settles mostly clear, then dry hop...the beer seems to absorb more aroma from the hops without them binding to yeast in suspension which then settle and take your aroma with them! I'm going to do this on the Citra/Cascade hopped Pale Ale I have in fermenters right now to see how much of a difference it makes.

- J

Secondary:

Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
Svarrogh
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah. I did a research about gelatine and clear beer and how they effect on hop aroma. The best thing as you said is to put dry hops on clear beer. So I'll do cold crash until beer is clear and then put my dry hops into keg at low temperature. This time i wont use any gelatine finings. Lowering the temperature will slow extracting hop flavor and aroma but I hope I'll get much smoother aroma. I'll wait for at least 2 weeks. I know that BrewDog do that with they beers. I'll try and let you know!

Quick Reply