Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Interesting First AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
bloomerjt07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Interesting First AG

I finally did my first AG today, and it was a Brown Ale. I decided to half the recipe from 6 gallons to 3, due to my lack of having a pot that could boil 6+ gallons. In halfing my recipe it threw me off quite bad. I thought i had it all figured out, but now the amount of water i needed, for some reason didn't function in my brain properly, Major brain fart. O well, i think i didn't sparge properly, but i seemed to be on the right track. We will see how it turns out, it smells good so far, I jus can't wait to see if the flavor sucks or if it isn't half bad. Defianently a good first experience, except my mash tun filter kept getting jammed and had to blow air into it, so i'm prepared to do another one soon enough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Madvillain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sparging is where I went wrong on my first partial mash brew...I didn't sparge with enough water and ended up with terrible efficiency (around 50%). I realized once I started the mash I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing My next brew is gonna be an AG and I think I have the process all worked out.

Here's to better brews in the future!

There is nothing on my horizon except everything. Everything is on my horizon - Dwight Schrute

Old 02-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
Brewpilot
Recipes 

I have been doing all grain all along... and I still learn things. Did an Oatmeal stout that had an OG of 1.061 this week... #1 my final runnings were 1.018 and I ran out of brew kettle capacity, so I still left sugars behind #2 you really need a 10 gallon cooler to do a 5 gallon AG batch, that way you can even do step infusions with all that grain! Fixing those problems with my checkbook!

Brewpilot

Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Bloomer, what were your gravity readings?

Why not stick with full size partial mashes. Do your 3 gallon AG thing and add to the fermenter.
Do a 2 gallon extract then add that.

Quick Reply