Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Interesting Beer Club Meeting Last Night On Mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

To save time:

1. 5 minute mash

2. NO boil, just pasturize your wort at 165 for a bit

3. No Chill, straight into a No Chill cube (plastic Jerry Can). You can get your hops from a hops tea you make on the side.

You can have a 1 hour brew day (5 minute mash, 15 minute pasturization, 30 minutes to heat the mash water)
The next day, pour it into the fermentor, add yeast and ....

I wonder how it comes out

(the No Chill will work, I dont know about the other 2 points. Since there is no boiling, there is no DMS, right? I wonder how it would taste?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
texasbrewer73
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight
To save time:

1. 5 minute mash

2. NO boil, just pasturize your wort at 165 for a bit

3. No Chill, straight into a No Chill cube (plastic Jerry Can). You can get your hops from a hops tea you make on the side.

You can have a 1 hour brew day (5 minute mash, 15 minute pasturization, 30 minutes to heat the mash water)
The next day, pour it into the fermentor, add yeast and ....

I wonder how it comes out

(the No Chill will work, I dont know about the other 2 points. Since there is no boiling, there is no DMS, right? I wonder how it would taste?)
Someone's had a beer or ten. ;-)

"Mash it, Boil it, Ferment it, Drink it"

Increasing your Mash Efficiency

Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could just put the grain and hops in the mash water before you heat, kill the heat at 170 and start draining immediately. I'm good with a 45-60 minute mash, it gives me time to get the rest of the brewing equipment ready, walk the dog, or play on HBT.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Conversion does happen quickly, 15-20 minutes, the remaining time is making tea, extracting flavors and color. I mash until my calculated conversion efficiency exceeds 90% based on periodic refractometer readings. Kai has a good table for helping to figure out the maximum conversion value.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 09-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #15
hafmpty
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you can get your hands on the September 2011 issue of BYO, there is an article called "When is my mash done?" that tackles this very question. The magazine and James Spencer from Basic Brewing Radio do a "collaboration experiement" with a number of other brewers to try to answer the question. Alternatively (or in addition to), you can listen to the episode of Basic Brewing Radio where they talk about the results of the experiment with different mash time lengths and explain why, even after a positive iodine test, it is good to let the mash sit. Here's the link:

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2011

Download the one from February 10, 2011 entitled "Mash Time Experiment." Here's the description:
Home brewer Charles Hoffman and James conduct an experiment comparing the effects of different mash times on a single recipe. Chris Colby and Kai Troester help interpret the results.

Quick Reply