Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Intentional caramelization technique question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Intentional caramelization technique question

I just read a bit about the Intentional caramelization technique, in which up to a gallon of first runnings are taken and then boiled down by say 75%. I am doing a mild/session ale type brew tomorrow, and I've got the itch to give this a shot. Here are my questions for those who've done this:
1) I try to keep my mash and sparge volumes as even as possible. Would I up the entire water to grain ratio to allow for that gallon to be boiled down? Or would I just increase my mash water volume to account for that gallon I'm taking out and boiling down, so I'd still end with the same amount in the kettle?
2) when is this wort reduction added to the rest? I assume it just gets added to the kettle for the duration of the boil.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

1) I'd keep the grist to water ratio the same and use 3/4 gallon more sparge water.
2) Reduce the first gallon by 75% and then add the rest of the wort.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That makes sense, I think I'll do that.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
LakewoodHomeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1.) +1 same ratio and extra 3/4 gal.
2.) combine after the boil.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did it last weekend and I worked like a charm! For optimal efficiency I make my strike and sparge water volumes as close to equal as i can. I just upped my batch size to 6.75 in my software to get the proper ratio, then changed it back to 6 for my target og. I collected my gallon, boiled it down over 90-120 min and I ended with 86% efficiency!

Quick Reply