Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Insane OG. I guess this is sort of what I asked for.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #21
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Okay. Thanks guys. I'll move the carboy to another part of my house..a closet that sits around 70 due to a room with a lot of windows (closet is pitch dark though). Should I swirl, raise temp, pitch more yeast in primary? Or move to secondary, do the same things and also add the dry hops?

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #22
adamjackson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoptualBrew View Post
For such a big OG I would have made a nice size (2 liter) starter & definitely let this one sit for a month or two in secondary. Raising the temp to 74 ish degrees after primary fermentation clears up should help things a bit. I was going to say I hope you dont ferment it too hot or be ready for a booze-ester-bomb. But 62 is excellent! Hope it turns out great, post back with the results.

P.S. Nice blog man! You are a hardcore trader.
I trade TOO much. I was doing a lot more trading. Now, I'm doing 4-5 a month max.

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 06-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #23
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson
Okay. Thanks guys. I'll move the carboy to another part of my house..a closet that sits around 70 due to a room with a lot of windows (closet is pitch dark though). Should I swirl, raise temp, pitch more yeast in primary? Or move to secondary, do the same things and also add the dry hops?
Swirl, raise to 70, and give it a good three days, check grav

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #24
adamjackson
Recipes 

Thanks! I'll move it tomorrow to the other
Closet. This was an expensive ingredients bill so I want to get the most out of it.

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 06-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 328

I have a 1.10 beer that I did in Feb. It is still in secondary - gonna bottle sometime in the next couple weeks. I would go 3 weeks primary or so, then 2-4 months in secondary for sure. Time will be your friend on this one.

One question . . . . . It sort of seems like you brewed this first and now you are trying to figure out what it is. Why didn't you know what style you were brewing first, and then brew it? Guess I am just not sure how you were "surprised."

Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
adamjackson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
I have a 1.10 beer that I did in Feb. It is still in secondary - gonna bottle sometime in the next couple weeks. I would go 3 weeks primary or so, then 2-4 months in secondary for sure. Time will be your friend on this one.

One question . . . . . It sort of seems like you brewed this first and now you are trying to figure out what it is. Why didn't you know what style you were brewing first, and then brew it? Guess I am just not sure how you were "surprised."
Wow. Okay, noted on that. Couldn't I just move it to the keg to free up carboys and purge Oxygen and then keep the keg at cellar temp (62) for 3 months? Would the same thing happen or does my secondary have to be a proper fermenter?

---

For the question, I went to the LHBS and asked what I needed for a super high ABV Imperial IPA like around 9-10% with loads of citra.

Then I said, "let's add another 3 pounds of DME. is that fine?" He said, now I'm starting to border on a barleywine. So, it's either going to be a big IPA or a barleywine.

If I keep it in a secondary for 3 months though, my hops are pretty much gonna be gone. I dont' want that at all but fresh, will it be WAY too sweet? (see Sierra Nevada Bigfoot fresh) or will it be very hoppy and boozy?

I guess I'll wait another week and taste some when taking an FG reading.

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 06-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Yes - the keg could act as a perfectly fine secondary. I am planning on bottling mine, so that is why I put it in a "proper" secondary. I stockpile beer in kegs all the time and treat that as secondary.

As to the taste, I think you will just have to wait and see. You are right, I think you would lose hop aroma in a long secondary - but you should not lose the hop bitterness. Also, since it will be kegged, you could try it earlier on, when you want. If it is not what you had hoped for - know that you can sit on it for several months, try it again. If the flavor is better after more time, but you are missing the hop aroma you desire, perhaps you could dry hop it with a muslin bag right in the keg when it is time to serve it.

I guess, I would say that the keg will give you flexibility to see how it matures which is good. Just keep in mind that it is a very big beer for a short turnaround and if it is not what you want after a few weeks, try being patient with it to see if it does not get better over time.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #28
adamjackson
Recipes 

Absolutely right. Great points! I agree with kegging..then I can try it at a month or a year..all that is really tied up is a corny keg. Thanks man!

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
adamjackson
Recipes 

Took another reading. 5 days after the last. ABV has dropped from 1.029 to 1.021. I'm gonna keep it in there for a while.

According to calculator of OG of 1.101 to FG of 1.021..current ABV is 10.5%. I would imagine that the yeast is going to slow down a lot. Should I throw in that champagne yeast to finish things up further? Oh and I had moved it from the cellar at 62 to my closet at 70. Which certainly helped.

Also, I took a 2 ounce taste. It's VERY sweet, VERY boozy and clarity is pretty hazy with a foggy bright orange appearance. The alcohol burns pretty good on my tongue. Sweetness is classic to a fresh barleywine. Looks like this one for sure needs to be bottled.

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #30
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Awesome, 1.021 is fantastic for a 1.101 beer. I would NOT add champagne yeast, at least not yet. Age will help with everything you've mentioned. Let it condition in bulk for at least a month (bulk conditioning is faster than in bottles, IME). 70 degrees is great. If after a few months it still tastes too sweet to you, then you can try other options, but personally I'd leave it.

Quick Reply