Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Infusion Step Mashing question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Infusion Step Mashing question.

I have been trying to wrap my head around a step mash for a recipe that I have some Rye malt and Wheat malt in, and the main question that I have been pondering is:

How many qt/lb of strike water would be necessary for a protien rest of ~122F while allowing enough additional strike water to raise the temp to a sac rest of 150-155?

I noramlly use 1.25 qt/lb for a standard infusion. I was thinking of raising it to 1.5 qt/lb so I could use 1/2 or .75 qt/lb for the protien rest and ifuse with an additional .75 qt/lb to reach sac rest temp.

Does this sound correct?

If so, how difficult will it be to break up dough balls with a real thick mash of .75 qt/lb?

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have never attempted a step mash before, and I also want to attempt a Witbier recipe using this technique.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You have to run the numbers in software to see how much volume you'll need to get the temp up.

Just for an example, with 12lbs of grain, .75qt/lb at 135F will get you to 122F. Another .75qt/lb at 195F will get you to 154F.

IMHO though, I would only worry about protein rest in a grist made up of a lot of UNmalted grains.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
...........I would only worry about protein rest in a grist made up of a lot of UNmalted grains.
or undermodified malt or if brewing a lager style.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

At that dough-in temp you prob won't get doughballs anyway. The hotter you dough-in the more likely you are to get doughballs. A thick mash is good for protein rests but IME, .75 qt/lb is a bit too thick. Even .8 or .85 would prob be at the minimum to have a 'stirable' mash consistency (prob depends on the exact grain you're using and maybe even your crush).

It wouldn't hurt if you increased the protein rest temp a bit (even up to the low 130s), that would make it easier to do the infusion.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Step mashing with infusions is a nightmare, if you have a pot you can do them in you should really consider direct fire heating through the steps then adding the whole thing to your mash tun for runoff.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
smoa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
I've never done a step mash, but here is a calc to figure out how much boiling water you need to raise the temp.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So a protein rest isn't recommended for malted grains or flaked adjuncts?

However, it is recommended with the use of raw grain such as raw barley, raw wheat, and ungelatinized adjuncts?

Do I have this right?

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 10-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

From what I read, flaked adjuncts can benefit slightly but it's not required. Just example, Randy Mosher's recipes will call for a protein rest or an adjunct mash and he gives a "cheater" recipe that replaces flaked wheat with malted wheat if you want to skip the rest.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Step mashing with infusions is a nightmare,
Why would you say this Tonedef? I think they're a breeze.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
chuggs
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Usually I do step mashes in my keggle. I dough in to hit the low step...then fire up the burner to hit the other steps.

If you're using a cooler...which I normally do for all my single step infusion mashes... You can make a heat stick. PVC pipe, with a water heater element in the end. I keep it in a bucket of water...and make sure it's not leaking...ie wire terminals are remaining dry!... and transfer it to my mash. Plug it into an extension cord...stir it around...unplug it. Make sure you have the element submerged whenever it's plugged it. It's not good for it to heat dry. You can bring the temperature up just by stiring the heat stick around in the mash.

Quick Reply