New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Infection or do I just need to RDWHAHB?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
illinibrew04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Infection or do I just need to RDWHAHB?

Hey guys, I've been surfing around here for about a year now and really appreciate all the advice I've gleaned from this forum. My 4th AG is in the secondary now (an APA) and it started to get some whitish bubbles on the top near the sides of the fermentor. No fuzzies or anything, but there appears to be a light brownish deposit along the sides by the bubbles. Maybe you can see it in the pics. Is this likely an infection? I'm usually pretty careful about sanitation, but anything can happen I guess. Should I leave it in the secondary (it's only been in there three days) or rack to the keg and let it finish in there?....or possibly cold crash it? Thanks for the help!

Here's the link for the pics (the hop bags are in there too which were boiled to sanitize)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27729192@N03/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

It looks like a normal bunch of Krauzen junk in a glass carboy...the brownish deposites are just broken up bits of krausen smashed against the edge of the glass, and some fizzy yeasties.

The bigger question is, if it in secondary why is there krausen at all???

Secondary is for clearing and you don't move the beer to it until fermentation is complete. How long do you wait to rack to secondary? And do you wait to your hydrometer readings are stable for three days?

I think you are racking way too soon.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 06-17-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So the big balls floating on top are hop bags? If they're not, that's pretty scary stuff!

I wouldn't be too worried about the stuff around the perimeter of the carboy just yet. Let it go for a few weeks in secondary and see what it does. Have you tasted a sample of it yet? Does it taste ok?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
illinibrew04
Recipes 

That's a possibility I suppose. I usually wait 10 days to rack to secondary. I know I should be taking hydrometer readings regularly, but I don't have a great way to do it, and I feel that I'm just increasing my risk of contamination. I have a beer thief but it's too short, so I need to get the longer one. Any suggestions? Thanks for the input.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like fermentation started back up in the secondary. Did you take hydrometer readings before you racked to the secondary to see if the beer had attenuated properly? You're probably going to want to rack it again as it looks like you're going to have a bunch of sediment to clear out again.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
illinibrew04
Recipes 

Haven't tasted it yet. Yeah, that would be a monster infection if those weren't hop bags!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibrew04 View Post
Haven't tasted it yet. Yeah, that would be a monster infection if those weren't hop bags!
Whew. I was scared for a minute...I was thinking, "I wonder how he got that decomposed cat head into the carboy..."

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibrew04 View Post
That's a possibility I suppose. I usually wait 10 days to rack to secondary. I know I should be taking hydrometer readings regularly, but I don't have a great way to do it, and I feel that I'm just increasing my risk of contamination. I have a beer thief but it's too short, so I need to get the longer one. Any suggestions? Thanks for the input.
You know...if taking hydro readings were such a big risk of contanimating the beer then why would it be recommended so darn much??? All the books/websites tell us all the things not to do....but they all agree that taking hydrometer readings are important!

Don't forget your beer is cushioned by Co2 which protects the beer from stuff falling in.

Step 1 sanitize theif or turkey baster.
Step 2 open bucket/carboy bung.
Step 3 Draw Sample (I transfer it to a sampler tube, and it usually takes 1.5 draws of my long wine theif to get it to the height i like.)
Step 4 Close bucket or replace bung. (I keep a spray bottle of iodophor/Distilled water handy, and usually just give the lid or the bung a quick hit of sanitizer-if I remember...I haven't and everything's been fine.)

These steps take less than 20 seconds for me to do.

Step 5 Take stick thermometer in sample to figure out the temp.
Step 6 take reading.
Step 7 Drink Sample (the best part).

It can be done faster with 2 persons....one to open and close the lid/bung, and another to draw the sample.

Only problem with that is then you have to share the sample.

Thin about it this way...If you had taken the sample, you wouldn't have racked too early, you wouldn't have had fizzy stuff on your beer and you wouldn't have had to start an "is my beer infected thread?"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You know...if taking hydro readings were such a big risk of contanimating the beer then why would it be recommended so darn much??? All the books/websites tell us all the things not to do....but they all agree that taking hydrometer readings are important!

Don't forget your beer is cushioned by Co2 which protects the beer from stuff falling in.

Step 1 sanitize theif or turkey baster.
Step 2 open bucket/carboy bung.
Step 3 Draw Sample (I transfer it to a sampler tube, and it usually takes 1.5 draws of my long wine theif to get it to the height i like.)
Step 4 Close bucket or replace bung. (I keep a spray bottle of iodophor/Distilled water handy, and usually just give the lid or the bung a quick hit of sanitizer-if I remember...I haven't and everything's been fine.)

These steps take less than 20 seconds for me to do.

Step 5 Take stick thermometer in sample to figure out the temp.
Step 6 take reading.
Step 7 Drink Sample (the best part).

It can be done faster with 2 persons....one to open and close the lid/bung, and another to draw the sample.

Only problem with that is then you have to share the sample.

Thin about it this way...If you had taken the sample, you wouldn't have racked too early, you wouldn't have had fizzy stuff on your beer and you wouldn't have had to start an "is my beer infected thread?"
Awww dang...remind me to never piss revvy off...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Awww dang...remind me to never piss revvy off...
yeah, you'll get some bold type for sure.

Quick Reply