Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Indianapolis Tap Water Profile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
dachbach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So these numbers are for the water coming to our house, right? Don't our water softeners change these numbers? I can't just plug them into the water profile software since the water coming out of my faucet is actually different, correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Taboot
Recipes 

You will want to collect your water before it goes through your softener by using an outside spigot(no garden hose) or use a different way.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
joelrapp
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Martin, I use 5.2, is this really having the effect that I'm looking for? Can you give me a brief explanation either way? Would using phosphoric acid still be beneficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
The main thing is to neutralize alkalinity as needed to produce an acceptable mash pH and to reduce the alkalinity of sparging water. Given the typically high alkalinity, using phosphoric acid will have the least flavor impact in the beers.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelrapp View Post
Martin, I use 5.2, is this really having the effect that I'm looking for? Can you give me a brief explanation either way? Would using phosphoric acid still be beneficial?
I'm clutching my chest! You guys are killing me.

5.2 has very little beneficial effect and anyone properly using an acid to acidify their mash would have NO need for that product. Drop it off in the nearest trash bin. Be sure you are acidifying your sparging water. That is a huge improvement by itself.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
joelrapp
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 25

One more question Martin. I know to never use a salt based water softner, but what about the newish product on the market EZ Water? It is supposed to use an electrical charge on the water line to neutralize ions. What effect does this have on brewing water? I am considering one for the house and it's effect on my brewing will be a major factor.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I have not seen any confirmation by any source (other than the manufacturer) that those things work. Its also counter-intuitive...how could an electrical field affect the positive or negative charge on an ion. Those charges are teeny, but at the atomic level, they are huge. Those charges are much larger than the electrical field.

By the way, this scam has been going on for decades. Do try and keep your money in your pockets and save it for a RO system.

Another system you might see is based on using Citric acid to reduce hardness. That system does actually work because citrate causes metallic ions like Ca to chelate and effectively removes them from the water chemistry. Now, that chelated calcium is still in there, it just can't do anything. The acid part of the citric acid also neutralizes some of the water alkalinity. The problem with that system is that you'll spend a fortune on citric acid. So its not really too viable, but it does work. Again, save for RO!

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Quick Reply