HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Incredible Parti-gyle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Incredible Parti-gyle

Just wanted to share.

The last AG I did, (a Helles Munich, which turned out great) I took another small sparge of the grains, 2 gallons or so, and held it back.

It was a rare brew day, I was actually able to finish the Helles and turn my attention to my experimental next brew.

I added 3 lbs of light DME and 3 oz of hops on my stove top to the last runnings, topped it up to 5 gallons, pitched a decent yeast, and ended up with a fantastic beer. It was better than a PM done a similar way.

The recipe helped, and the late only additions of hops helped a lot too, but my point is that for another $20 in ingredients (I had yeast stored) I was able to produce a fantastic 5 gallon batch. Close to the cost of AG right?

Waste not, want not or whatever, but why waste beer? Also the more session I have around, the longer I can age my good stuff!(although this turned out to be "good stuff"...even better!) I am not an alcoholic (I hope) but I have lots of fans and people who have helped me out that I repay with home brew.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I'm glad to hear you did that. I wanted to make a small dunkel with extra runnings from my rauchbock I did a while back. However, after a triple decoction, I had enough brewing that day. I think my final runnings still were somewhere just shy of 1.020, so I could have gotten something out of it and added some extract, like you did.

Ah, it wasn't wasted, though. It all went out to the garden, and I know the fauna enjoyed the snack a little more.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You encourage fauna in the garden????????lol

Right on Brother, like I said it was a rare brew day that I did have the extra time.
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Quick Reply