Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Increase gravity after 3 days fermenting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
cbird01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Increase gravity after 3 days fermenting?

I am brewing a Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome clone. I hadn't done a batch in 9 months and was a bit rusty (also only my 3rd all grain) My target OG was 1.073 and I hit 1.060.

This was due to the fact that I accidentally added too much water to the second sparge. I decided to just see how much boiled off and ended up with 6 gallons in the fermentor and a low gravity.

EDIT: I am using WLP002 English Ale

I really would like to up the gravity, since this is a keg I will be serving at my wedding and it is for my to be bride who LOVES Winter Welcome. Want to be nearest style as possible (and get my guests real drunk)

Sooooooo, I have read I could boil up some DME and add to fermentor after cooling back down. I have space in the fermentor. Fermentation is still kicking with 1 inch head and bubbling away. It didn't start pushing bubbles until tuesday afternoon.

Want to up the gravity vs. don't want to screw anything up.....comments please?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sure, you can add DME to bump up the gravity. Personally, I'd wait until fermentation starts to slow down.
To get to 1.073 overall, you'd need to add about 3.5 pounds of DME to a total volume of 1 gallon to raise the total volume to 7 gallons at 1.073. That may be alot for the volume, but I think it should dissolve ok.
Good luck

Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you really have your heart set on the higher gravity, yes you can add more DME as you described Assuming your yeast pitch was sufficient for the original anticipated gravity it shouldn't cause any problems. GXM's addition sounds about right. The question becomes do you have enough room in the fermentor. With a gravity that high the fermentation usually gets pretty aggressive and the Krausen will eat up a whole lot of headroom.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
cbird01
Recipes 

wow....how much water for 1 lb DME? can't handle 7 gallons

Old 09-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #5
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How much room do you have?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
cbird01
Recipes 

I have a 6.5 gal carboy with 5 inches to the neck. How about if I used LME instead - would that utilize less water? Could I just boil it....cool it down and add?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Keep in mind that you will have to adjust IBUs as well.

Also, I know what's done is done but for future reference the problem is not that you had too much sparge volume but that you didn't boil it long enough to bring back down to proper volume. This is an important distinction because it means that you can adjust during the boil to make sure that the final result is okay.

What I do is start the 60 minute boil clock when my volume hits 6.9 gallons regardless of how much volume I started with. I've started with as high as 9.5 gallon and had to boil for an hour before I started the boil clock.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
cbird01
Recipes 

Thanks for the tip dontman. I was thinking about this on brew day and couldn't get past the fact that doing that would alter my hop schedule....but just thinking differently and boiling of before hop addition solves that.

Another adjustment I have found I need to make is that water evaporates faster at altitude of 7000 ft.

Quick Reply