Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Improving propane burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
effinpansy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Improving propane burner

Hey, I've got a Turkey fryer set up that I have changed to use with a 15.5g keg. The burner frame has a ring that "retains" the stock pot but was too small in diameter to put the keg on. So I welded on three outriggers to support the keg, which raised the kettle up 2" or so. Also the keg has a raised bottom as they all do. My question is, would it be right to raise the burner up higher, and how close to the pot? I also use the stock turkey fryer pot as a HLT, so I wouldn't want to be too close for a flush bottom pot. Maybe an adjusable hieght rig? It currently takes 45-75 min. to acheive boil from sparge temp. Sucks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
TopDog
Recipes 

A lot depends on the burner. I use a banjo burner -- the manufacturer recommends 4" between burner and pot bottom. Probably a decent rule of thumb, but others may know better.

It may just be that your burner is underpowered for 15g and you need to upsize.

Brew like your head's on fire.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Turkey burners run ~55K BTU, that isn't much for a keg. You might try wrapping the keg with a heat-resistant insulation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Redstar
Recipes 

You could also shroud your burner. Might help a bit, and if you brew outside you'll have a more stable flame.

You could also upgrade your burner and/or regulator, here's an idea of what's avalible: http://bayouclassicdepot.com/propane...ron_burner.htm

Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
whoneedsabeer
Recipes 

I got a turkey fryer on craigslist, and had the same problem. I couldn't even maintain a boil without the lid at least 1/2 way on.

The ring on my fryer wouldn't support the keg either, so I got a grill grate that lays over top of the ring, and my keg sits on that, so same issue with burner height.

I did raise the burner height. Made a bracket out of angle iron, and mounted it above the original mount, but that didn't fix my problem either.

I purchased a 30psi regulator, and all I can say is WOW! This thing kicks! I had such a vigorous boil, I couldn't even get my march pump to prime. I didn't upgrade the hose or burner.

Here's the cheapest place I found it...

http://www.jambalaya-iron-pots.com/7..._regulator.htm

Good CS and fast shipping.

Try using the 30psi reg, without adjusting burner height, I think I have to lower my burner now, since the fame is so much larger.

Good luck.
Jay

Quick Reply