Immersion Chiller or Mash Tun or Kegging Equip?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
Which should I purchase first? Currently I do BIAB so technically I can gete by without a Mash Tun and Immersion Chiller. WHich one of those three is most important?

I don't see much benifit from a mash ton if your already doing BIAB.

I think a chiller is essential. How do you currently chill your wort? I'd put the chiller #1 on the list.

Kegging is so very very nice. But a chiller is a must have IMHO

Currently Ive been chilling in an ice bath. I also think the chiller is of utmost priority. It will probably be my next purchase

As kegging is convenient.. The hour + to chill in an ice bath was always rough for me.

I give one vote to a chiller. I wish I would have gone straight for a plate or CFC at the start now after the fact. I still use my IC but wish I would have just made the big purchase of a plate chiller.

As kegging is convenient.. The hour + to chill in an ice bath was always rough for me.

I give one vote to a chiller. I wish I would have gone straight for a plate or CFC at the start now after the fact. I still use my IC but wish I would have just made the big purchase of a plate chiller.

really? I do 10 gallon batches and still prefer an immersion chiller.

Do you have temp control? I'd go with that first.

B

Yeah that's real important. But it depends on your house. If you already have a decent spot for fermenting then the chiller is the priority. If you can't find a decent spot the the temp controler will make a huge impact on the quality of your beer.

Also, think about a stir plate and flask for making starters.

I am going through a bit up an update to my brew setup... One that I didn't expect when getting back into brewing.

I am starting to head towards a bit more automated...

Dont get me wrong, the 50 foot hunk of copper I got was well worth it for my IC it has never done me wrong.

I am going through a bit up an update to my brew setup... One that I didn't expect when getting back into brewing.

I am starting to head towards a bit more automated...

Dont get me wrong, the 50 foot hunk of copper I got was well worth it for my IC it has never done me wrong.

Ahh you've gone to the dark side.

I like an IC because it's less complicated and easier to clean. I don't worry about what's growing inside my chiller. I typically have fairly cold ground water and it works very well.

Ahh you've gone to the dark side.

I like an IC because it's less complicated and easier to clean. I don't worry about what's growing inside my chiller. I typically have fairly cold ground water and it works very well.

A good point, one that I haven't thought of. Thanks for that.

The dark side? I am a geek for the toys almost as much as the beer. Add electronics as my profession and there you go.

:D

Get a chiller or make your own, although its not that much cheaper to make your own with the price of copper tubing these days.

Start asking for kegging equipment now for gifts from family, the whole kits are spendy but you can piece it out into $50 and under parts, which is right at the sweet spot for gift prices. Also start trolling craigslist for a chest freezer or fridge (if you don't have one), trying to get one when you have all the other equipment will force you to overpay instead of taking your time and looking for a great deal.

Back