New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I'm Taking the Plunge, Too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 11:14 PM   #21
Dragonfly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

HFS man those pots at Zepole are cheap cheap cheap.! I'm definitely hittin that up (thanks for the link!)

(sort of) New to the Game

up next:
Kolsch

secondary:
altbier

Keg: empty

Bottled:
maple pumpkin ale
"Straight up" Pale Ale
Java Porter
Smiling Eyes Irish Red
Vanilla Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2005, 01:19 PM   #22
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Brewing Co.
Let us know how that Barleycrusher works for you, maybe I'll upgrade.
I got a Barley Crusher several months ago and I LOVE it. This is the first one I have owned so I can't compare it with too many others (just the one at the HBS) but from what I have read and looking at pictures, the grind is great! This mill really is a good deal when compared to others in its class. Many others charge for a handle or a hopper or a mounting plate or a chuck to use a power drill. Not this puppy... it comes complete! I got the 15# hopper which is the only upgrade they offer and with shipping, I got everything for $150. By the time you add up all those pieces parts for other brands, you will rapidly exceed this. It is quality construction, the mounting plate fits perfectly over a 5gal bucket (not included) and the gap adjustment is pretty easy. It comes with my highest recommendations and would be a good addition to your collection when you do get around to upgrading.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #23
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
did you get whole hops or pellet hops from them? i'm leary of ordering yeast and hops this time of year. maybe i'm just paranoid? i'd rather pick 'em up myself and haul 'em home in a nice chilled cooler.........but, my HBS doesn't carry some of the newer hops (like the ones for the 90 Minute IPA clone), so I may have to mail order the hops.
Whole hops, baby! They seal them in vacuum bags. But it's been in the 90's here, so to be safe, I planned ahead and had them shipped to my workplace and I kept a cooler in the trunk of my car in anticipation of their arrival. When they got here yesterday, I ran out at lunch and got a bag of ice, put the hops in the cooler with the ice and they were comfy all day. They are now at home in my freezer.

Yes, Zepole rocks! I've bought from them several times for kitchen items.

I bought the BarleyCrusher after reading so many great reviews both here and at other forums. I want it to be the first and last mill I buy. Service was quick, too! I ordered it yesterday, they shipped it that day and, accoridng to UPS, it should be here today.!

Old 07-09-2005, 02:47 AM   #24
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Default Time Has Finally Come!

Well, it's Friday evening and I just finished converting the cooler and making the CPVC manifold. I bought a new propane tank (my first ever, no real man BBQ's with anything other than natural lump charcoal), hooked it up to the burner and tested it out. It works fine!

The BarleyCrusher is ready, my drill set is charged, things are sanitizing as I type this, the hops from Freshops are in the freezer and the 50 lb. bag of Rahr 2-row is in a cool, dry place.

Tomorrow morning, I begin my first AG!

I'm leaving the entire day devoted to this endeavor! I was going to brew in the garage, but they are caling for very nice weather here tomorrow. So, I may very likely move everything to the backyard and get some rays in the process. I may even throw some meat on the smoker while I'm at it!

I'm trying a simple, hoppy American pale ale recipe, which I'll post on the recipe section of the Forum. Wish me luck! If I can, I'll try and take pictures and post them in the near future (that is, if anyone is interested ).

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 07-09-2005 at 03:10 AM.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:36 AM   #25
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
The BarleyCrusher is ready, my drill set is charged
If you are referring to using a cordless drill on the grain mill, don't be dissapointed if it won't do the trick. I had to put up my Dewalt cordless for a corded drill to get the power required. The starting torque is the trick here. Good luck to you!

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:19 AM   #26
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rhoobarb, I was looking at your recipe and saw that your sparge volume may run short. Have you calculated water loss due to grain absorbtion? Looks like you'll lose about 1.23 gallaons based on the 10.25# of grain. You may also lose some volume in your equipment also. Probably no more than .5 to .75 gals. Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:35 AM   #27
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
If you are referring to using a cordless drill on the grain mill, don't be dissapointed if it won't do the trick. ...
Yep. I have a less-than-year old Craftsman 9.6v with 90in./lb. of torque and a back up battery. I love it; it replaced my beloved Milwaukee cordless when it bit the dust after 14 years of service! But you're right, it might still fall short. There's always the 'five digit rotator'. Besides, I could probably use the arm workout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudster
Rhoobarb, I was looking at your recipe and saw that your sparge volume may run short. ...
Thanks, I had wondered about that, but didn't really know where the range should be. So, maybe something closer to 4.5-5 gals. of sparge water?

Old 07-09-2005, 04:51 AM   #28
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Thanks, I had wondered about that, but didn't really know where the range should be. So, maybe something closer to 4.5-5 gals. of sparge water?

I recently read in Palmer's book ( I think it was Palmer) that you should go into a sparge with the same volume of water that you plan to have for wort at the end of the sparge....SO...if you plan on boiling 6 gallons or so, you'll want at least 6 gallons of sparge water.....
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 07-09-2005, 04:58 AM   #29
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
You are going to lose water by grain absorbtion. You will also lose water due to evaporation during your 90 Min boil . You will also lose water leaving it behind in different places of your system. This is hard to guess since I do not know your system setup. If you don't think you will lose more than .5 gallon then I'd say 5 to 5.25 gallons for sparge.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:28 AM   #30
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Thanks everybody! Well, I'm going for a typical 5 gal. batch, so that's the amount I'll use for the sparge. Maybe I'll do an extra half gallon above that, just in case. Now that you mention it, I think I saw that in Palmer's on-line book, too.

No special set up. Rectangular 50 qt. picnic cooler for the mash, batch sparge, big-ass aluminum brew pot and a couple smaller aluminum pots for sparge water, etc. 6.5 gal. Glass carboy.

I'm pretty much replicating this procedure and set up.

It's past midnight and I gotta hit the hay if I'm gonna pull this all off tomorrow. But I'll check in here tomorrow morning before I begin anything!

Thanks again - and keep the feedback coming!

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 07-23-2005 at 03:56 AM.

Quick Reply