Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I'm Taking the Plunge, Too!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I'm Taking the Plunge, Too!

Just like Sam75, I’ve finally decided to do it! After reading all the comments here, then reviewing John Palmer’s “how to”, as well as some other reading, I’ve decided to take the first step into all-grain brewing. I'd really hoped to see it done first-hand, but never got the opportunity. And I just can't wait!

I’ll be using my current 20 qt. brewpot as my sparge water pot. I’m going to a restaurant supply house near me this Saturday to purchase their AL-SP-40 40 qt. ‘wort’ brew pot. (They have them on sale until July 7th!)

Tomorrow, I’m purchasing this Coleman 36 qt. cooler.
And I’ll be outfitting it exactly as it is pictured in the top photo here, with a slotted CPVC manifold.

I already have a homemade wort chiller, but will probably construct a new, larger one. I also do not have a grain mill or a propane burner. My gas oven is modern and may work, but I think a propane burner will be much more effecient. So, those will have to be ordered.

I’ll probably be doing my last extract batch this weekend and my first AG the next. I’m pumped and ecstatic!

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks like you've got it all worked out! So three of us will be starting within the next 9 days.

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 06-24-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rhoobarb, I think you will HAVE to go with a propane burner. There is no way stove top will bring 6 gallons to boil. Good luck, let us know how it goes!! Ask here for help.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
zprime
Recipes 

I've brought well more than 6 gallons to a boil on my electric stove top. I've yet to have any problems (other than that one batch where my wife wouldn't leave me alone and it boiled over and she got mad at me and i was all like i warned you but you wouldn't listen and she was all like you should have done something about it and i was like i did i told you i couldn't leave and she's still pissed now cause the stove won't come clean).

Old 06-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by zprime
I've brought well more than 6 gallons to a boil on my electric stove top. I've yet to have any problems (other than that one batch where my wife wouldn't leave me alone and it boiled over and she got mad at me and i was all like i warned you but you wouldn't listen and she was all like you should have done something about it and i was like i did i told you i couldn't leave and she's still pissed now cause the stove won't come clean).
There's the biggest reason to get propane and get the hell outside!!! If nothing else then it's "Your area". You shop around and you can get a nice propane setup with large pot as well. Sam's "Had" a georgeous turkey fryer with stainless steel pot (think it was $60) that I saw right after I purchased (and used) an alumunimum one from Home Depot. There gone now but come turkey day this fall I'm betting they'll be back. Then I'll have two burners and ss for the AG setup.

Last edited by DesertBrew; 06-24-2005 at 02:04 PM.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
There's the biggest reason to get propane and get the hell outside!!! If nothing else then it's "Your area".
Now that's funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
... Sam's "Had" a georgeous turkey fryer with stainless steel pot (think it was $60) ...
I looked at the turkey fryer set-ups, but the BTU's on those propane burners seemed low, IIRC. I'm 99% sure I'll want a propane burner as opposed to my stove, just so I can do everything out in the garage and not have to move pots from room to room.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
I looked at the turkey fryer set-ups, but the BTU's on those propane burners seemed low, IIRC. I'm 99% sure I'll want a propane burner as opposed to my stove, just so I can do everything out in the garage and not have to move pots from room to room.
You know I never looked at the btu, but I can get 6g cranking pretty fast. Haven't timed it as I just started full boils with a 155 steep in the middle but I think it would equate to about 15-20 minute range. I'll have to check out the btu rating...

Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Rhoobarb, check BYO's March 2003 issue. they have an article called "your first infusion mash" that i follow (almost). the temp you mash in at will depend on the style your brewing, and depends on if you want a lighter bodied brew, or a heavier bodied brew. i think he brews a lawnmower style beer, so he goes in a little low. i usually mash in w/ 170 degrees, and it gives me about a 158 degree mash temp. he stirs his mash 2 times an hour. sometimes i do 1, sometimes 2 stirs. you won't lose much heat.
the april 2003 issues is a continuation from march, and it covers the sparging, but you don't have to have the arpil issue. if you you want those articles, and don't have those issues, let me know. i'll fax them, or can just e-mail the mash schedule/directions on the side column of the article.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 06-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i got that turkey frier from sam's. it'll bring six gallons of cold water to a vigourous boil in about half an hour. it brings my mash runoff to a boil in about 15, so it ain't the best, but it ain't too shabby. i've gotten about four batches out of the tank too, but i'm thinking i will refill it this weekend anyway cause of murhpy's law and all.

get out of the kitchen asap!!!

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
Rhoobarb, check BYO's March 2003 issue. they have an article called "your first infusion mash" that i follow (almost). the temp you mash in at will depend on the style your brewing, and depends on if you want a lighter bodied brew, or a heavier bodied brew. i think he brews a lawnmower style beer, so he goes in a little low. i usually mash in w/ 170 degrees, and it gives me about a 158 degree mash temp. he stirs his mash 2 times an hour. sometimes i do 1, sometimes 2 stirs. you won't lose much heat.
the april 2003 issues is a continuation from march, and it covers the sparging, but you don't have to have the arpil issue. if you you want those articles, and don't have those issues, let me know. i'll fax them, or can just e-mail the mash schedule/directions on the side column of the article.

Thanks for the info! I just started getting BYO four issues ago. If you could just email me the schedule, that would be fantastic! Thanks! I may get those two issues from their backorder dept.

I'm already spending money like a drunken sailor on leave! I just ordered hops from Freshops and I'm going to stop by a place after work and see if they have any propane burners or turkey fry set-ups!

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 07-23-2005 at 03:33 AM.

Quick Reply