Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Im still learning but now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
ILOVEBEER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Im still learning but now?

Hello,

I was reading on some recipes in the "bank" and came across some that call for a protein rest. Why is a protein rest necessary and is it true for only some types of beer?

I have come across some recipes that call for aprotein rest but do not give you a time duration for the protein rest. How does one figure out how long the protein rest is if not included in the recipe?

Thanks for the help
Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Using a protein rest isn't really neccissary for most malts. Most malts made today are modified enough to not need it.

However, when using things like Flaked wheat, oats, rye, or barley in high amounts...a protein rest can help. Some of the German malts produced today still need a protein rest because they're not as highly modified. It will help to reduce chill haze and promote a better head on the beer by breaking down larger proteins.

I always do a protein rest on anything with larger amounts of Pilsner malts or other lighter german malts. Wheat beers I don't bother with because they'll be hazy anyway.

A protein rest can be anywhere from 113-131F but most people aim for around 120-130. I prefer mine at 122. Also, 20-30 minutes is fine for most protein rests.

Make sure you don't do protein rests on highly modified malts as it will leave you with a watery beer.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply