Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Im still learning about all grain brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
AmusedBystander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Im still learning about all grain brewing

I use Brewers Best kits and do full boils (5g). I was thinking the next batch i do, when I steep the specialty grains, I might add a lb of 2-row with it. I guess to kinda get my feet in the water and to make a stronger beer. Now, obviously this is way too much water for one lb of malt; my question is...
With so much water per pound, is this just a waste of time? will it ruin my beer? or will it just add a weak dose of fermentable sugar and nothing more?

Thanks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 67

2-row is used as a base malt and at 1# really not going to notice anything. Why not check out the Partial Mash/and recipes. Ease yourself into AG with BiaB.........my.02

Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

2-row won't add much flavor and chances are it won't achieve full conversion in that thin of a mash. thicken it up (1-2 qts/lb grain) and you'll be fine

Old 07-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just for the record. If you steep grains for an hour, doing a mash (single infusion) is no different. With the exception of course being that you have to more closely monitor your temperature and you need to observe a proper grist ratio (water to grains).

I would look at BIAB (brew in a bag) and go for it. I did 3 batches BIAB and was then on to full all grain with some extra equip. I have never looked back. I still have 2 cans of LME sitting on a shelf that I haven't touched. Guess that will be starter food.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply