HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I'm done with AG.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default I'm done with AG.

Today has been a nightmare. I'm done..it just isn't worth it to be wasting my time and money on something there is/can be so much variation on. I keep spending more money in hopes that things will improve but with a zero return on my investment I'm spending more money that saving at this point. I mean the whole point to AG is to have more "control". But what I didn't realize so much was that with more "control" comes more things that can go wrong and more things you can f*ck up. So after three batches of AG, I'm going back to PM's. Kudos to those of you who really have this down...but it's just too much damned time and money to risk.
If anyone wants to know this recipe was a Hefe
7lbs wheat
4 lb pilsner
.5 lb rice hulls

Converted 5 gallon round cooler with SS braid.

Protein rest at 122 for 30 about .90 qt per pound
Sacharification at 155 1.70 quart per pound
batch sparge 170 with 2.5 gallons x 2
There was a total of about 8 gallons put in with which I got about 6 gallons out. I had to add some water a couple times to get my temps right. Then I topped off to about 6.5 gallons as on my previous batches I've burned off almost 2 gallons. This time was much different.

hallertau at 45 and 15

Pre boil OG was 1.033
Post boil was 1.041

So now I'm bringing everything back to boil for another half hour or so to bring the volume down and I'm going to supplement with some DME to get my gravity where it should be. So anyway...just thought I'd share as I keep hearing that once you go AG...
To me it's just not worth it. My PM's are still the best beers I've made to date and it's much easier to handle.

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Dude, that's too bad that you are packing it in. I feel for you.

I have to say, though -- before you do, try a dead simple recipe (single infusion, no wheat, and say 1.040 gravity so you only have to sparge once). Also make sure your crush is good, and see how it goes.

My AG beers are SO much better than my extract beers. Maybe I am just a bad extract brewer, but I doubt it. I really do think there is something to AG. Just give it one more go.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Willsellout

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Dude, that's too bad that you are packing it in. I feel for you.

I have to say, though -- before you do, try a dead simple recipe (single infusion, no wheat, and say 1.040 gravity so you only have to sparge once). Also make sure your crush is good, and see how it goes.

My AG beers are SO much better than my extract beers. Maybe I am just a bad extract brewer, but I doubt it. I really do think there is something to AG. Just give it one more go.
The thing with the crush is that I rely on AHB to crush my stuff and the past two brews the crush was apparently bad. I'm not about to spend more money on a grain mill because I don't have the money or the space.
I'm not really packing it in, per se, because I will still be using all the equipment I have now. My first AG was a really simple one and it didn't come out any better than any of my extract brews. To this date the PM's Ive done are the best beers I've made. That and there is consistency and I can rely on the beer to come out as I expected.
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

Old 06-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

nobody likes a quitter now!

I'm back!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

can i have your stuff?

Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Yeast Infection
Recipes 

Im not sure i follow.....your description in your post sounds fine....what went wrong here...you missed your anticipated OG?

Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeast Infection
...you missed your anticipated OG?
with 7lbs of wheat and 4 lbs of pilsener, lots of people will have a hard time with efficiency

Old 06-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you suspect that your LHBS is badly crushing your grain, have them run it through their mill twice.

But honestly, I think you are just having a run of bad luck. Just give it one more shot with a straightforward recipe. If it turns out well, you will be very glad.

I speak from an analogous form of experience -- when I started brewing (extract) I developed a contamination in my equipment from a spoiled, locally-produced no-boil wort kit. I ruined 3 or 4 batches of beer in a row, and was about to pack it in. But my brew buddies forced me to keep trying. They lent me some gear until I could replace my own, and I nailed a couple batches that I really enjoyed. Now I am totally digging all grain brewing, and things keep progressing with the hobby. I am really glad I never quite. Anyways, didn't mean to talk about me -- I just wanted to lend some encouragement, like my buddies did for me.

Last edited by FlyGuy; 06-22-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Willsellout

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeast Infection
Im not sure i follow.....your description in your post sounds fine....what went wrong here...you missed your anticipated OG?
Missed my OG, would up with too much wort and didn't realize it until after I had cooled and transferred to primary..so now I'm boiling again to boil off some volume and get my OG up to where it should be. There's a bit more to the brew day than this, but I've been up since 6am brewing and it's now 1:30 and I have another hour or so. It's just too much time and hassle for beers that aren't any better than my PM's. Like I said though, kudos to you guys that can consistently do AG. After three crappy AG attempts I'm going for the sure thing.

And no, you can't have my stuff..I'm not quitting..just stepping down a level on the "crafting" of my beers.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

sorry about the "can i have your stuff thread." dude, its not that hard, you're probably just over thinking it. we can get you through this, or Ill even give you my cell phone number and walk you through it.

just dont give up.......

1st things 1st.....do you have ProMash or some other brewing software?

Quick Reply