Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ill effects of FWH??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
Benjibbad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ill effects of FWH??

I had to split my brewday due to being called into work. I collected my wort and added my hops for the FWH when I got the call to come in. Now I have the wort sitting in a carboy waiting for the boil. Everything was sanitary. so no infection worries, but will leaving my hops in there for too long provide an ill effects or will it essentially be a dry hop? The beer is an IIPA, OG Preboil was 1.048 for 7 gallons and I am adding 3 lbs of Light DME for a late addition. Hops were Whole leaf Amarillo 9.5%

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
seattlejohn
Recipes 

I've left my wort for 6 hours before starting the boil with no problems. The FWH is more like a flavor addition, so you should be really happy with the amarillo for the IIPA. Just don't let it hang around very long at a temp too low before starting the boil. My rule is: mash/sparge/collect in the afternoon, have dinner with the fam, kids go to bed, start the boil. Success every time.

Start the boil as soon as your shift is over and you will be fine! I have read that leaving it overnight f**ks it up, but have never done so I don't know.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
saq
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts

Its not the hops you need to be worried about, it's lactobacillus and other bacteria that could give you a sour wort, though that takes a few days. Did you at least boil after collecting?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Benjibbad
Recipes 

I didn't boil after collecting I just didn't have time. When the general needs someone and I get called it's a bad day all around. The wort is currently sitting in a temp controled room in a clean sanitized carboy with the plug in and airlock on. Completely sealed. I used some campden on this one so I am not too worried about it. I just don't know if the hops are really going to screw with it if I have to leave it for more than 24 hours.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

It shouldnt really affect it. Id be more worried about not boiling it really.

FWH takes advantag of the time the wort is sitting at about 150F and the hops get to stew in there. This is when the magic happens. I dont think you will have a problem with it, but this is definately not an ideal situation.

How hot was this stuff when it went to the carboy? Glass?

Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
saq
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts

As long as you boil it before a week is up you should get some serious hop utilization of your FWHs that should come out tasting very nice!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

As mentioned, the bigger issue is all that lactobacillus in the wort. Even though everything was clean...it's in there.

And FWIW, my default line when I accidentally answer the phone and it's the boss wanting me to come in; "Sorry sir, I've had a couple of beers."

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=seattlejohn;1482801]I've left my wort for 6 hours before starting the boil with no problems. The FWH is more like a flavor addition, so you should be really happy with the amarillo for the IIPA. Just don't let it hang around very long at a temp too low before starting the boil. My rule is: mash/sparge/collect in the afternoon, have dinner with the fam, kids go to bed, start the boil. Success every time. QUOTE]

FWH is like a flavor addition? In the specific terms of flavor no. I guess some software treats the utlization as such if that is what you are referring to. It is "supposed" to provide smoother bittering, whatever that means. Of course I can only suppose, since I have tried it both ways and well it did nothing that I noticed. The science around it, to me anyway, isn't really sound- lots of observations.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #9
Benjibbad
Recipes 

Corboy/bottleing bucket in this event they are one in the same. The wort was about 130 when I took the hydro sample. I went to start the boil today and lo and behold I'm out of propane Crap!! Spanish, as much as I would love to use that excuse when you are supposed to be on call and not drinking and the J2 calls you directly on you cell telling you to get in...saying I have had a few beers is not in the best interest of your career. Esspecially when you are trying to get him to recommend you for warrant officer.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjibbad View Post
Corboy/bottleing bucket in this event they are one in the same. The wort was about 130 when I took the hydro sample. I went to start the boil today and lo and behold I'm out of propane Crap!! Spanish, as much as I would love to use that excuse when you are supposed to be on call and not drinking and the J2 calls you directly on you cell telling you to get in...saying I have had a few beers is not in the best interest of your career. Esspecially when you are trying to get him to recommend you for warrant officer.
Ah...didn't know you were 'on call'...that's different. Please report back after you taste the final product...I'd be interested if you can taste the extended FWH.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply