The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > IIPA dry hopping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
hcfd918
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default IIPA dry hopping?

Did a IIPA and am ready to transfer for dry hopping. OG was 1.098 and finished at 1.021 coming in around 10.4%. I have about 2.3 ounces of Amarillo and 2 ounces of Simcoe I was going to use. I know that bigger beers require bigger dry hop additions but is this enough. Also would you add both together or one and then the other at a later time? Would 7 days be sufficient?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
im322305
Recipes 

Simcoe and Amarillo is a great combo for a dry hop. Added 1.5 ounces of each for dry hop on my black IPA (OG = 1.075) and it was the perfect balance of pine and citrus. Never have done an IPA that big but I feel that 2 ounces of each (4 oz total) would be fine for a beer that big. Probably could get away with just 3 oz depending how big of an aroma your looking for. Can't talk from experience but I feel that anything more than a 4 oz dry hop would be overkill. No need to stagger the additions, just add them in at the same time and let them do their work for about 5 days. After 5 days you don't really get anything more out of the dry hops and you risk getting grassy flavors in your beer, especially with a large amount of dry hops. Happy brewing.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 512

I like this article from Brew Your Own magazine, with tips from the guys at Stone. "http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201". Check out page 42 for the info.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Add the whole 4.3 ounces for 7 days. You'll be golden. I like 4-6 oz of dry hops per carboy in my IIPAs. Simcoe/amarillo are a classic combination for a reason. Enjoy!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
hcfd918
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperry View Post
I like this article from Brew Your Own magazine, with tips from the guys at Stone. "http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201". Check out page 42 for the info.
This is a good article. Thanks. Even has a bunch of their clone recipes. Funny how one brewing company will give you half of their recipes yet some like Founders wouldn't even answer a question I emailed them about using coffee.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'd personally do different additions, separate. But those two will be good together. It's what I've got planned for a DIPA that started at 1.085 and it's down at 1.014 now.

I'd do Amarillo first for 7 days, pull it, and add Simcoe for 7. Then package it immediately. Layers it a bit. I did that last time for my IPA, and did it again for a DIPA I did. Sometimes I toss it all in the keg and dryhop while I carb, but I really like nabbing one layer and tossing another fresh burst in there before I keg it. It prolongs it all I think.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
BigRedHopHead
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Just go for it! dump them all in for 6-7 days and start carbing it at the same time if you can. The lower temps will allow you to keep them dry hopped in the keg for 2-3 weeks. Those first dozen pulls on the tap will be magical. I usually pull them after 3 weeks on the gas and at fridge temps. Try it out!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
hcfd918
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So when you guys dry hop in the keg are you just using a bag and then removing that. I've only been kegging about 7 months. I never really considered hopping in the keg. I've only dry hopped in a 5g carboy in which I just dump them in. I use a paint strainer bag, cut a piece off and zip tie it to the end of my auto syphon to keep the hops out of the keg.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #9
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Leaf hops in a bag and I never remove them. It took a few months for the beer to start to get a grassy flavor with cascade but typically I'll finish the keg before it gets to that point. I love dry hopping in kegs, saves time and doesn't get much fresher unless you use a randalizer.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #10
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I tend to not remove my keg hops, my hoppy beers have yet to last long enough to develop grassy notes

Quick Reply