*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Igloo Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Marshi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Igloo Mash

Two questions relating to my igloo mash tun:

1. What is the best way to clean and sanitize? Are there any chemicals that damage the plastic that I should avoid?

2. I'm thinking about filling a second igloo with sparge water for my sparge, but am worried that putting really hot sparge water in the igloo might release some nasty chemicals from the plastic inside. Is this a legitimate fear or can igloos handle water with really high temps?

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4507 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 883

1. You don't have to sanitize it- it's preboil. I just clean it with a hot water rinse right after emptying the mash. If you let it sit, it's harder to clean but an oxiclean soak will clean it nicely.

2. Yes, that is a concern. That's why I finally switched over to all-stainless, but I used Igloo coolers for about 6 years, brewing twice a month. If you go over 180 degrees, they will warp and crack (as I know from experience ) and I do wonder about the plastic leaching something as they aren't designed to be used with hot water. I noticed that the first time I used it with hot water, it smelled "plastic-y" and so I poured out that water and never noticed that odor again.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
gfd622
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1. Since it's before the boil, it doesn't need to be sanitized. You just need to clean it out the best you can (I don't remove my false bottom too often, but every now and then I do inspect to make sure it's all still connected and working).

2. I think the igloos are meant to have either hot or cold drinks in them. I've seen them filled with coffee often, with no worries. I don't sparge this way, but I did see a lot of videos where they use a second cooler to hold sparge water, so it must work. My thought is the plastics used to make igloos are safer than the clear recycled plastics that they say to avoid in the microwave.

Good luck

Dave

Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
Snowhere
Recipes 

My 5 gal igloo (round) cooler is going on 20 years old with no warpage or cracking. I use it for my sparge so it always gets near boiling water.

Like above, I just spray my mash tun (10 gal) cooler and use a soft sponge or just my hands to clean it. I do take out my false bottom every time to clean it. Otherwise I would have old grain stuck in the false bottom, which I would rather not have.

I am getting ready to upgrade my system as I have outgrown the 10 gallon mash tun and now I need a 15 gallon mash tun. Since they don't seem to make a 15 gallon round cooler, I guess I will be going the keggle route. But at that time, my 10 gal cooler will be my hot liquer (sparge).

Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
1. You don't have to sanitize it- it's preboil. I just clean it with a hot water rinse right after emptying the mash. If you let it sit, it's harder to clean but an oxiclean soak will clean it nicely.

2. Yes, that is a concern. That's why I finally switched over to all-stainless, but I used Igloo coolers for about 6 years, brewing twice a month. If you go over 180 degrees, they will warp and crack (as I know from experience ) and I do wonder about the plastic leaching something as they aren't designed to be used with hot water. I noticed that the first time I used it with hot water, it smelled "plastic-y" and so I poured out that water and never noticed that odor again.
+2, went through two Rubbermaid HLT's before switching to larger SS setup. I did notice its less prone to warping if preheated.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Quick Reply