Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Igloo Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
davidkrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Igloo Cooler

I 'm thinking about making a mash tun out fo a 7 gal igloo cooler. It has essentially a square botton and taller than my present 48 qt rectangular rubbermaid cooler. My question in how do I remove the existing drain in the bottom? Does it just unscrew and pull out. I remember when I made the rubbermain tun I had a had a devil of a time removing the old drain. I landed up drilling out the drain, screwing up the hole, puncturing the cooler with the drill and having to glue the new plastic faucet in with epoxy. Not a very professional job but it didn't leak.

David

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Usually the 'plug cover' is attached to a collar that unscrews allowing you to remove the entire plug, though I'm sure there are different configurations. Hopefully it's not glued.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
GABrewboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bet I have the same cooler you do!!! It is easy to remove the drain....just unscrew it.....you will have to drill out the hole a little bit more though to fit the new drain plug in with the SS braided hose.....at least I had to do that!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABrewboy
Bet I have the same cooler you do!!! It is easy to remove the drain....just unscrew it.....you will have to drill out the hole a little bit more though to fit the new drain plug in with the SS braided hose.....at least I had to do that!!!
Sounds like a Cube. Yeah you would just unscrew it. I would not drill anything though. This is how I got into trouble. This job seems easy to some people and a real pain in the A** to others. If I had to do it all over again I would just get the Kewler Kit from the start.

http://www.zymico.com/cooler/

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 03-14-2006, 03:13 AM   #5
davidkrau
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. I had no trouble getting the old drain out. You're right, it just unscrews. I installed the new faucet,a cheap plastc one. This is whern my troubles began. The nipple or whatever you call the thing that goes throught he cooler was just a little too short when I put a washer on it. Anyway I filed around the hole so that the faucet would seat better. I managed to screw the gismo onto the faucet and I thought I was done but lo and behold the cooler leaked when I tested it with water. I've smeared a lot of epoxy arount the aucet and hope that
stops the leaks. If that doesen't work I'll throw the damn thing away and buy from morebrew that's all made up with a fasle bottom and a metal faucet. I think they are about $100.00. I also think that is what I should have done in the first Place.

Davis

Old 03-14-2006, 03:22 AM   #6
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

befor you go and spend $100 on a new one, head over to Home Depot or what ever and get yourself a couple 2" neoprene washers, you'll have to trim out the middle so they fit but use that to seel around the valve.

When you put it back together DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Snug it up and check it out, if it leaks play with it a bit (thighten/loosen) until it works.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
davidkrau
Recipes 

Thanks Pumbaa,

I live in Mt Prospect IL about 90 miles south of you. my wife is from West Allis, WI,
If this thing still leaks, I'll go to Home Depot and see what the have in the way of washers.

David

Old 03-14-2006, 04:20 AM   #8
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Anytime

Mine as a real PITA and I was ready to freeking chuck it into Lake Michigan unti I figured it out . . . I musta spent 4 hours in Home Depot trying to find something to get it to work right.

Hell by the time I left I had 3 employees following me thinking I must stole something

Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I hear you Pumbaa!

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply