Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > If you are not conditioning your grain, check this out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
Tombstone0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts
Anyone ever consider using steam to condition the malt before crushing? I have a portable steam cleaner I use on wheels, bbq, kitchen floors etc. I think i will try this with a 1/2 lb of dry and 1/2 lb of steamed 2 row and post the results. If steam works more efficiently than spraying and stirring 20-30lb of grain, that would definitely rock.
I would think that steam would be a bad idea, since the steam would be hot enough to denature the enzymes in your malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
erikhild59
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

The linked wiki states that you can use low temp steam. I'm intrigued...may try this next brew.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I have conditioned my malts 15-20 minutes before brewing as well. I dump the grains by the half pound (a little less than 1 solo cup btw) into a large bin and spray them with a spray bottle at each dump.

I dont do it every time, only when I feel like I have some extra time to burn (rarely). I havent done it enough times to say for sure whether it increases efficiency, but I can say that I was able to crank down the gap on my corona mill while the crushed grains still 'looked' good. And I didnt have stuck sparges.

It would be nice to rig up some sort of simple automatic sprayer, I would be more likely to do it every brewday then.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I knew I scanned all todays posts for a reason. I just sparged a "hoptober" clone attempt - and I conditioned for about 15 minutes before grinding on my mill - much nicer crush than normal. big hulls, small particles and a very easy mash and sparge.

so far so good, I will have to track my efficiency as the boil starts.

either way, it seems worth it to do conditioning if I have time - which if I have time to brew I have time to condition.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 AM   #15
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

can you condition your malt when using corona grinder?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #16
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Been doing this with my corona ever since I ran across that same article. It's great. To some of the previous posts, the point is to be able to crush tighter while still keeping the husks relatively intact. In essence you're grinding the starches finer (better and quicker conversion) while keeping your husks more intact (better lautering). If you condition and do nothing to your gap, then I can see why there might be a decrease in efficiency. The husk is more pliable and might not crack as easily.

My process:
I crush the night before. I put a thin layer (a little less than 1/4") in the bottom of a wide under-bed tupperware storage container. I mist it down with a spray bottle and mix up the grains by hand. Add another layer, repeat. I let sit for 10 min while staging my other brew gear for the next morning. After 10-15 min, I crush and store the grain in a Homer bucket until the next morning.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Quick Reply