Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > If the Vikings could do it, so can I...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
matteroftaste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you won't loose interest. not after you drink your first pint and realize there is no mystery or magic in making beer, not a chance at all.
plus there is so much to obsess over and forget about, im nearly over being exited about amarillo hops...

nearly....

please forgive any colloquialisms....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I had a few issues with the vorlauf and sparging - not a stuck sparge, just some issues due to the small amount of water used in this batch. I vorlaufed and drained the first runnings, BeerSmith wanted me to batch sparge in two steps, 0.8ish gallons and 2.5 or so. Trying to vorlauf 0.8 gallons was not working because when I started to get clear wort running out, the MLT would run dry. I was standing there with a pitcher of cloudy wort and a 'dry' grain bed wondering how I could pour the wort back into the MLT without stirring up all the grain again! I ended up just adding a large quantity of water to the MLT, vorlaufing, and running it out into the brew kettle until I hit me preboil volume.

Everything went fine with the boil - It took a long time for the wort to get up to temperature, nothing was happening for ages - I stepped into the kitchen for 30 seconds and when I came out it was at full rolling boil!

Here's where my brew day went a little bit bad. I built a wort chiller, and leak tested it the other day; I did my 5 minute hop addition, then dropped the wort chiller in the boil. There was still a little bit of water inside the chiller coil, which of course also got up to boiling temperature. When I hooked up the hose at flameout, I wasn't hanging onto the outlet hose and some of that boiling water sprayed out and burned me. Not bad - nothing a little ice and ointment couldn't fix, but still! I was a bit distracted while the wort was cooling.

Turns out my ground water here in Puerto Rico was only able to chill the wort to 81*, which was highly annoying as I didn't have any ice on hand, so I whirlpooled it, let it settle, drained into my 5 gallon Better Bottle - LOTS of hop matter towards the end, and I had to leave a decent amount of liquid behind with the break material. Aerated well, put the carboy in my fridge for about 20 minutes while I rehydrated the dry yeast and pitched. It was showing about 70* ish when I pitched so hopefully it will be OK as it's been in the fridge getting cooler. I have an old kegerator set up as a fermentation chamber and set at about 62* so I will be monitoring the temperature closely to make sure it settles into the right range when it starts fermenting.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wecome to the board! Congrats on going AG out of the gate. For an "American" IPA, try the Safale S-05 next time...I have used the British strain S-04 quite a bit as well, and it took me a long time to realize I prefer the 05 over the 04...just my 2...happy brewing!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
Turns out my ground water here in Puerto Rico was only able to chill the wort to 81*, which was highly annoying as I didn't have any ice on hand, so I whirlpooled it, let it settle, drained into my 5 gallon Better Bottle - LOTS of hop matter towards the end, and I had to leave a decent amount of liquid behind with the break material. Aerated well, put the carboy in my fridge for about 20 minutes while I rehydrated the dry yeast and pitched. It was showing about 70* ish when I pitched so hopefully it will be OK as it's been in the fridge getting cooler. I have an old kegerator set up as a fermentation chamber and set at about 62* so I will be monitoring the temperature closely to make sure it settles into the right range when it starts fermenting.
So long as your sanitation is good, you can airlock the carboy and come back and pitch when your wort reaches pitching temp. I've done this overnight once or twice even with no ill effects.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Wecome to the board! Congrats on going AG out of the gate. For an "American" IPA, try the Safale S-05 next time...I have used the British strain S-04 quite a bit as well, and it took me a long time to realize I prefer the 05 over the 04...just my 2...happy brewing!
Thanks for the advice! I asked the LHBS owner that gave me the recipe about the yeast, and if I should use Wyeast 1056 instead, but he said that he liked the character the S-04 gave to this beer and recommended it. I'm not sure my batch will come out anything like his beer, but we'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryboroughbrewing View Post
So long as your sanitation is good, you can airlock the carboy and come back and pitch when your wort reaches pitching temp. I've done this overnight once or twice even with no ill effects.
Thanks, that is good advice. I was actually thinking about doing this but I already had rehydrated the yeast in ~100* water and read that it should be pitched within 30 minutes for best results. I think it'll be OK... I'm just going to RDWHAHB (actually RDWHASamAdams because my pipeline is not yet established)

Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Your recipe sounds good.

Wow, Only one thread showed up at the bottom of the page. I was looking for more of a tie-in fro your thread title. I was wondering where it was leading.

How much snow have ya got?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #17
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
Turns out my ground water here in Puerto Rico was only able to chill the wort to 81*, ... It was showing about 70* ish when I pitched so hopefully it will be OK as it's been in the fridge getting cooler.
You should be fine.

My first time at all-grain was rough too.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
aarong
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hello fellow coastie it sounds like you made yourself a good brew. This is by far the best forum for brewing. People are very willing to answer your questions above all have fun.

Fermenting: Tripel
Keg: empty
Bottle: empty
Vissani fermentor build

Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
Walking_Target
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The best part about this hobby, is you can pick it up in the winter/summer/whenever, make a whole lot of beer or wine, lay it down for months or years, then pick up the hobby again.

The only thing that goes bad is the ingredients, the rest of it keeps forever

Fermenting - Pomegranate Mead (3g), Acerglyn

Kegged - Modified Bee Cave IPA, Calypso Pale

Bottled - Brown ale, Pomegranate Mead, Orange Apfelwein

Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong View Post
Hello fellow coastie it sounds like you made yourself a good brew. This is by far the best forum for brewing. People are very willing to answer your questions above all have fun.
Hey fellow Coastie! Thanks, I haven't perused any other brewing forums than this one. I don't see much reason to look elsewhere. Great forum.

Here's a photo from my boil. I've been hearing rumors that there's some kind of cold spell up in the states? I don't know anything about that

Quick Reply