Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > If i need something else im gonna b POed! but i will buy it neway

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
grrtt78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

i cant decide whether to buy a larger cooler (mine can do regular 5 gallon batches now) or a keggle first. either way i can use the cooler as a HLT or just use the pot i hav now and boil in the keggle. wat do u all think? keggle or 10+ gallon cooler first? i would like to be able to do ten gallon batches as well as big 5s

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #12
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Meanwhile, get a spray bottle and fill it with water. There's a little video someone posted awhile back showing how to do it, but basically as your wort gets close to boiling you just spray the surface of it with water. This gets rid of surface tension. You only need to do this for a little while until it comes to a rolling boil and then you are okay until it's time to add hops. Each hops addition can cause a boilover, so you need to get your water bottle out then. Of course, you also need to keep a watch on the gas valve, but the spray bottle eliminates a lot of adjusting.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #13
sixtyten
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
I use a 30 qt. pot with no boil overs to this point, just got to watch it for a while.

I just checked and found I have the exact same size. I was afraid of doing a full 5 gallon All-Grain recipe so my first try at AG brewing was a 3 gallon. I'm guessing its safe to try a full batch considering you are using a 30 qt too. I'll keep a spray bottle with water just in case.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #14
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I use 30 qt also. Did my first all grain last week, filled it with 26 quarts. I was nervous at the start, after about 15 minutes everything was fine.

The only reason I can see at this point in getting a bigger pot is if I need to collect more than 26 quarts to get best efficiency. I am willing to cut my efficiency and add a couple bucks worth of extra grain to not have to buy a bigger pot...at this point.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #15
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, I've been wondering about this for some time...I got a ~36qt pot and I still have problems with boil over. I'm very hands-on with the boil so I end up pulling the pot off the burner maybe 8-10 times to keep from boiling over during initial hot break, of course during hop additions gotta pull it again. So even though I"'m still young(32) that my back can handle but it definately hurts afterward.

Sounds like most people back off on the gas regulator to prevent boil overs. But doesn't that preclude a vigorous boil?...I know, RDWHAHB.
p.s: I think the belgian trippel is hitting me hard now so if I'm not making much sense, carry-on!

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #16
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I did a sh!t load of 5-gallon AG batches in my 7.5 gallon turkey pot with no problems.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:32 AM   #17
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
I did a sh!t load of 5-gallon AG batches in my 7.5 gallon turkey pot with no problems.
Me too, but the keggle sure is nice!

Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 AM   #18
Twabe
Recipes 

I would think your pot adequate for 5-6 gallon AG batches. I use my 38 1/2 quart pot for 7.25 gallons to ferment and 6.75 gallon bottled. I fill it up to within an inch or two, and even have added a little extra wort in the early boiling stages. But, I do keep my mop bucket handy! BTW, having a mop bucket on brew day is a good idea even if you do not have a boil over, as sparging and kitchen cleanup usually require a little extra oomph.

It is also a good idea to brew in an area where you can make a mess #:^),

Good luck!

TCW

Quick Reply