Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ideal Mash PH range?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
bigdaddybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Ideal Mash PH range?

Let me drill down a little on mash PH opinions I have been seeing...

Broadest range...get your PH in the fives and you'll be okay? 5.0 to 5.9?

Mash base malt in distilled water and you'll hit high fives and this produces bland beer, you need some acid...so eliminate 5.6 or above? 5.0 to 5.5?

5.2 has inspired it's own product and homebrewers use this with good results so weight the range to the low end of the scale? 5.0 to 5.4?

As PH meters become more commonly used, homebrewers check there favorite mash recipes and they are finding they have been using a higher PH than expected with good results. 5.2 loses some fans? 5.3 to 5.5?

Listen to a talk this summer given by brew guru John Palmer. He suggests 5.4 to 5.8? Ok now what?

I been building water using reverse osmosis water and mineral addtions to build water with general alkalinty ranges...0 to 50 for pale, 50 to 150 for amber, and 150 to 300 for dark beers. This has been giving me good results and even some really good beers. But I really want to dial in my process and recipes. I have been using Brunwater Spreadsheet and see many positive comments about the accuracy being close to actual mash PH. Right now I feel good about 5.3 to 5.5.

Do you have a general PH range you are shooting for?
Does it vary for certain styles? How?

Primary: Pineapple Pale Ale
Kegged: Conceited Brown Cur, Summer Citra Cerveza
Bottled: Concord-Cherry Wine, Dark Winter Spiced Ale, Whitetail Amber Ale, Summer Gold Pale Ale, Irish Sunset
Future: Octoberfest

I made a lot of beer and I can't drink it all by myself...okay I can but I like to share too.

Last edited by bigdaddybrew; 11-09-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I take my pH readings at room temp and shoot for 5.3 - 5.5, but 5.2 to 5.6 is acceptable to me.

"If you're here for the premature ejaculators meeting, you've come too soon."

Old 11-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
bigdaddybrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for your sharing your experience. Who else agrees or has another range they prefer? Any specific ph differences based on style?

Bottled: Concord-Cherry Wine, Dark Winter Spiced Ale, Whitetail Amber Ale, Summer Gold Pale Ale, Irish Sunset

I made a lot of beer and I can't drink it all by myself...okay I can but I like to share too.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Buna_Bere
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's a really nice chart from Kai's page ,

I've found my best American Ales have been made targeting a mash pH of 5.40, and that's a room temperature target that was calculated with the EZ water spreadsheet.

Here's a link to Kai's full page on mash pH,
http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index...ffects_brewing

Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
bigdaddybrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Awesome chart. Thanks for sharing it. Downloaded to my computer immediately.

5.3 to 5.5
Kai's chart says 5.3 to 5.6

Anyone else agree or have a different experience with mash PH? What range are you using? Does it vary by style?

Quick Reply