Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I want more sugars!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default I want more sugars!

I've just mashed 6.5kg (14.3lbs) of grain in 16l (17qts) of water and batch sparged with 23l (24qts)of water. I fill the kettle to 30l (32qts) to boil down to 25l

I thought I'd test my spent grain to see what gravity any further runnings should be. So I put another 10L of water in for five minutes. The run off was at 1014. So there is obviously some sugar left in the grain that I could use to increase my efficiency.

I don't really want to collect more wort and increase boil time.
Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Live with lower efficiency, like I have!

Did you do a mash-out? I found that when I did my second sparge at a higher temp, it seemed I was able to get out more sugars for the given volume of water. That was the primary variable I changed between a 64% and a 70% efficiency session.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I generally split my sparge water into two batches. I drain the first run & start heating it. Then immediately dump the first sparge in and stir. When the first run is close to boiling (about 10 minutes), I drain in the second run. Repeat. I also use pH 5.2 and near boiling water for sparging.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I've got six suggestions.

1. Check the temperature of the sparge. If it's below 75C, then heat the sparge water more.

2. Mill your grain finer

3. Accept your limitations.

4. Change your equipment for something that will result in higher efficiency. (Of course, changing your equipment could lower your efficiency).

5. Switch to fly sparging (which will probably require equipment changes).

6. Sparge with boiling water. You won't like the results, but it will increase your efficiency.

1 and 2 are probably worth the effort.

-a.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I usually try to make my batch sparge volume equal the volume I collected from the initial runoff. In some cases I do two batch sparges (but not often). I also mash quite a bit thinner than you do (1.5-2qts/lb) which allows me to runoff more sugar in the first runoff. Another thing I do, when I mash thicker, is to up the volume before runoff with some boiling water which gets my volume up as well as raises the temperature (as the_bird mentions).

Also, after adding boiling water to hit mash out temps, or after dumping in a batch of sparge water, I give it a good stir for a couple of minutes and then let it sit for 5-10 minutes. The stirring helps dissolve sugar into solution and the sitting allows the mash to stratify which helps with runoff.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Cheyco convinced me to make sure my first and second runnings were just about the same volume. I added some water to the MLT before taking my first runnings to get the volume right. The water I added for the sparge was 190 degrees. Not quite hot enough where I'd worry about tannins, but I got a good mashout and it seemed that I was able to dissolve more sugars. I'm sure I left a lot of sugars behind that I could have gotten by doing another sparge, but I didn't want to collect too much wort and have to do a huge boil.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
perry
Recipes 

This may go against current wisdom, but after the mashout I don't stir at all. I pour the first runnings (about one gallons worth, re-heated to 175 deg.) back over the top of the grain bed, but other than that, I try not to disturb the surface of the bed. My thinking is that since the sugary, high gravity liquid naturally sinks to the bottom (and thereby drains into the boiler) I want to not disturb that process. I've been getting pretty good "efficiency" results with this process.

cheers, p

Quick Reply