Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I want to make wheat malt and barley too

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
TimothyTaylorslLandlady
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I want to make wheat malt and barley too

Anybody every tried to make their own wheat malt?
I can get a lot of free malt, is it worth the effort? is it difficult?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ummmm, you cant make wheat malt out of barley malt, two different grains. If you have access to wheat you can malt it, but its not easy, its a whole new hobby.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2755 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's several threads about malting your own grains, it ain't easy...Do a search and you'll find them. WIth nifty pictures.

also Craftbrewer radio has a multi part discussion/explanation on how to do it...dig through the archives, here.

CraftBrewer Radio

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
TimothyTaylorslLandlady
Recipes 

Thanks, I shall look, I am keen to try now I have got using grains under control. I meant to say I could get free wheat barley from a tame farmer, not free malt (I wish).

There is brewing radio out there!! Wow, this site is marvellous. I'm so glad I joined, my friends are very happy to drink my beers but they don't seem to want to talk about it ad nauseum. Strange.

Quick Reply