Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I want to BIAB, but there are no paint strainer bags in this country :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Hophead04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I want to BIAB, but there are no paint strainer bags in this country :(

I live in Chile now and since Malt Extract is hard to find here, I need to change to all grain. To save space I would love to go with the BIAB style, but upon scouring a ton of hardware stores and talking to contractors and the like I have discovered that paint strainer bags are simply not in this country .

My question: Are there any alternative to using a paint strainer bag? Such as pantyhose (not too sure about that one, but it was suggested).

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Look for fine mesh laundry bags (there are even some made for laundrying women's "unmentionables") at a department store, or go to a sewing/ material store and look for a mesh like material called Cotton Voile or Cotton Gauze ;

And have someone sew you up a few bags.

Also look around your local markets and see if there are any fine meshed bags used for fruit or anything like that.

Folks have used pantyhose to strain or even as grain bags for small steeping grainbills, but for BIAB where there is a large amount of grain it may be difficult to handled. But there's no reason not to experiment.

You might need to double up on the material if it appears too thin.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pantyhose works great for keeping hops pellets and various other additions like orange zest, coriander, etc. contained.

I would suggest looking for nylon material for a bag instead of cotton, it can take a bit more heat without burning/melting/failing in some way. It also doesn't absorb any smells/odors from your previous brew making cleanup easier.

The voile is fantastic, but I'm not sure if it's called that in Chile.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
bsilva132
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shear curtains is another source for voile fabric.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The most widely used material for bags is polyester voile, this is what curtain sheers are made of...best to stitch a bag like a pillow case with a rounded bottom and drawstring top closure. You can also just line the brew kettle w/ a large piece of voile and gather it into a sack to remove the grain.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I bought voile fabric and took measurements for my kettle. Then searched on Craig's list for sewing. Two days later I had a great, cylindrical, tough bag for $30 all in.

There is also a fellow that sells them on his website. I'm sure they are good too.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatbelt123

There is also a fellow that sells them on his website. I'm sure they are good too.
That would be Wilserbrewer, 2 posts up.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Hophead04
Recipes 

Thanks guys! Thanks to you all I will be brewing this weekend!!

Quick Reply