Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I want to AG this Fall....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 03:05 PM   #11
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
If someone pipes up and says that pH measurement is an absolute necessity and that same person elsewhere on this board said that a hydrometer is optional - I'm going to scream.

I don't think comments like this are really necessary. Just because you don't agree with another person's brewing practices, doesn't mean it is wrong. I respect the opinions of you guys who have been brewing for a while, but that doesn't mean its gospel. Whether or not someone else thinks a hydrometer is a waste of time, I don't. I use it EVERY time.
Somewhat the same with PH. This one is a bit more optional--but I HIGHLY recommend reading PH at least once to get a handle on the water you use. If you don't change your water (switching from botled to tap, etc.) then its not necessary every time you brew. But balancing PH is a very underutilized practice in brewing, IMHO. It can have a huge effect on off-flavors that you can't nail down otherwise.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2005, 03:22 PM   #12
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
Besides the mash/lauter tun, grain mill and various kettles, what is required to step up from partial mash to all grain? Looks like a ph test kit is needed. Any recommendations on style / brand which would be good for this? Anything else specific to the mash/lauter that would be needed? I'm still reading up on the subject... still... but it's always good to hear from this group.
Thanks.
i've never checked my ph on my all-grains. i just use a simple rubbermaid 5 g cooler for my mash/lauter tun, i heat my mash/sparge water in a 15.5 g keg w/ the lid cut out, and boil in a 10 g SS kettle. the only addition i made when i moved from partial mash was the mash/lauter tun, and larger boil kettle. i first used my old stove top sized boil kettle to heat my mash/sparge water. just easier to use one big pot than adding water so often.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:05 PM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
I have never measured the pH in any of the AG batches I've done. If someone pipes up and says that pH measurement is an absolute necessity and that same person elsewhere on this board said that a hydrometer is optional - I'm going to scream.
I wonder who it is you could possibly be speaking about?

Old 06-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #14
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
I don't think comments like this are really necessary. Just because you don't agree with another person's brewing practices, doesn't mean it is wrong. I respect the opinions of you guys who have been brewing for a while, but that doesn't mean its gospel.
It's all in jest folks. Is it because I left off the little winking smiley thingy? It takes all kinds, and there are definitely all kinds on this board. Just tryin' to lighten things up.

Prosit,

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Quick Reply