Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I think I reached my limit.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default I think I reached my limit.

I was really gung-ho to progress my brewing for the past 9 months. I did a few partial boil extracts, stepped up to full boils to practice for AG. I made some good beers with only one batch being sub-par. I brewed my first all grain two weeks ago and it's about to go into the keg. On that batch, I used my turkey fryer pot on my grill just like my previous 5 extact batches, cooled with an IC, and used either a hop bag or strained as I poured.

Today was the big day. I brewed my second AG batch but tried a few new things. The first was to use a keggle and a natural gas burner. Next, I put my DIY counterflow chiller to use.

Maybe it's just a combination of too many new things at once but I'm just exhausted from all the setup and cleanup. So, I'm kinda just venting, but I think I need someone to tell me that all grain is definitely worth the effort.

Some things I've noticed was cleaning a keggle is nothing like washing a pot in the kitchen sink. Also sanitizing prior to use, and cleaning afterwards makes CFCs a PIA. Not to mention regulating wort output temp is really tough when the tap is 50degrees.

I suspect this will get easier if I build a dedicated brew stand and start using a pump, but woah... long day.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I'm pooped, too. Long day of brewing. Helped a buddy brew a batch along with my own. Had to do a lot of scrambling to get a recipe in order, and just a long day, lots of cleanup. My wort chiller died (crack developed in the coil, fixable), thankfully he had his own. But, just a long day, it's usually a lot easier. Cleaned up the big mess, but still some more to do before work in the morn.\

Fun, but a long day. It's usually easier than this....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

AG is the only way to go, relax, get into a groove... change is good, but don't make so many changes that you cannot zero in all of your procedures. You know this. I will go through all of the pains when I get my system up and runnin'

Pol

Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 AM   #4
Willsellout

Recipes 

I feel you man. Today was my first time doing/using: full boil, Partial mash using my MT, Aeration system, and wort chiller (immersion). It took me all day, from around 10am to about 4 pm from start to cleanup. I've decided what I need is to brew one day, rinse everything and then clean the next day. It's just too much for one day for me, especially since I do all the cooking around here as well. So from now on I am taking a day off of work when I brew to help with the time involvement. I would figure that once you get your stuff down to a science though that everything will go much quicker.

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 03-12-2007, 03:14 AM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have not used my keggles yet, so I'm still doing 5 gallon batches of All Grain. I use the down time while mashing & boiling to do my cleaning & sanitizing. So far, it's not been a chore, but I'm using an immersion chiller.

Hang in there. It'll get better. The best part is when you taste the beer YOU made!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
AG is the only way to go, relax, get into a groove... change is good, but don't make so many changes that you cannot zero in all of your procedures. You know this. I will go through all of the pains when I get my system up and runnin'

Pol
You know, I've told myself not to make too many changes at once, but some of them just come together. I could have used the keggle and reduced my task load by going back to extract, but it seems like a step back. I could have used my immersion chiller instead of the CFC, and I probably will in the future until I get a pump, but I had the CFC built for over two months already and the keggle's bulkhead made it possible to try out. Brew and learn. This batch better be knock-your-socks-off delicious.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 03-12-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #7
cpbergie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
This batch better be know your socks off delicious.
I have a weird feeling it will.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:18 AM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I haven't stepped up to the keggle yet, but I'm guessing its time start making bigger batches when I do. Seems more beer would make the long day worth it.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #9
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Now that I am brewing AG I noticed the same thing. instead of a couple hours to brew a partial boil extract batch it takes better part of a full day. Last Thursday I brewed my second AG batch and started at 1pm. I was not done and cleaned up till almost 8. I had fun but I did get tired of all the cleanup. I was thinking of making a CFC but changed my mind not only because of the hassle of cleaning it but also it only takes me 15 minutes to cool my wort to pitching temp, so why bother right? I do enjoy the brewing though. Drinking my swill better.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The days goes easier if you RDWHAHB.
I've kept away from gadgets that take extra work and cleaning.
Kiss.
I regularly brew in 4 to 5 hours.

It'll get easier as you get into a routine and YES it's worth it.

Quick Reply