Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I need some scientific help (enzymes and temp control)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default I need some scientific help (enzymes and temp control)

I have done this twice now-!and not sure if it effects conversion or not. Iodine test confirms conversion but efficiency is low.
Missed mash temp, so I draw off a portion (not all) of strike water from mash tun. I heat it to 200-210 and replace to bring temp up. Is this denaturing the enzymes I need for starch conversation? Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
TimTrone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm not completely sure, but yes I believe heating it to boiling temps stops the diastatic enzymes.

You mention effeminacy being off. Are you crushing your grains fine enough? You want a good crush, but not to powder. There's a happy medium.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The enzymes denature above about 170F. So, yes you denatured some of your enyzmes. If you want to do that next time you might dry taking only a little water and some of the grain. In the process of heating the portion of the grain/water up stop at about 158 for 15-20 minutes (This will help convert most of the sugars in that portion of grain you took out.) then heat it up to boiling. You'll probably want to stir the grain when it gets hotter to prevent scorching/sticking. Slowly add it back in after boiling it for a few minutes (so you don't overshoot the new mash temp).

Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTrone View Post
You mention effeminacy being off. There's a happy medium.
I got nothing to add to this.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte
The enzymes denature above about 170F. So, yes you denatured some of your enyzmes. If you want to do that next time you might dry taking only a little water and some of the grain. In the process of heating the portion of the grain/water up stop at about 158 for 15-20 minutes (This will help convert most of the sugars in that portion of grain you took out.) then heat it up to boiling. You'll probably want to stir the grain when it gets hotter to prevent scorching/sticking. Slowly add it back in after boiling it for a few minutes (so you don't overshoot the new mash temp).
Basically doing a dedication mash at that point. I'd say just add boiling water a pint or so at a time until you get where you want to be. The mash being a little thinner won't hurt anything.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
GinSlinger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
Basically doing a dedication mash at that point.
Only if he's watching the pot boil (which the adage has it, it will never do). That's dedication for ya.

Are you using a calculator for your strike temp? I do and am having the reverse problem (BIAB), but am getting it closer.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs

I got nothing to add to this.
Hahaha I didn't even catch that. I hate the damn auto correct spelling tool on phones. I can't tell you how many times it "fixed" my word to something inappropriate.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinSlinger

Only if he's watching the pot boil (which the adage has it, it will never do). That's dedication for ya.

Are you using a calculator for your strike temp? I do and am having the reverse problem (BIAB), but am getting it closer.
Bugger. Stupid text correction on my phone... I meant decoction. and it tried to correct it to devotion that time.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mux View Post
I have done this twice now-!and not sure if it effects conversion or not. Iodine test confirms conversion but efficiency is low.
Missed mash temp, so I draw off a portion (not all) of strike water from mash tun. I heat it to 200-210 and replace to bring temp up. Is this denaturing the enzymes I need for starch conversation? Any ideas?
Yes, you are denaturing the enzymes in the liquid you're drawing off. However, there are enough left to get the job done. You are not, as has been suggested doing a decotion. A decoction boils mostly grains leaving as much of the mash liquid behind in the tun as possible. That's one of the reasons a decoction increases efficiency as the boil helps break down particles in the grain and leaves the majority of the enzymes behind and untouched by the boil.

If you are consistently missing your mash temps then you should think about raising either the temperature or quantity of your strike water. You could also consider an additional infusion with a smaller amount of boiling water to bump up a low temp.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
Bugger. Stupid text correction on my phone... I meant decoction. and it tried to correct it to devotion that time.
I typed extract potential into a document a few weeks ago, and the spell checker decided I meant extramarital.
I never knew brewing could be so dangerous (if SWMBO read it).

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply