Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I need some help deciding on brewing techniques. . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I have a 7 1/2 gallon turkey fryer that I do 5 gallon batches in. I've found that it works best to plan on a small sparge addition as the turkey fryer will be nearly to the top with all the water plus the grains for an 1.050 OG batch,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
meltroha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
hey everyone

I am brewing using malt extract, but I would like to start brewing with all grains. However, I don't know what equipment to start with. I have a 5 gallon fermenting bucket but I need to understand what equipment I will need to create the mash.

I was kinda thinking of simply getting the grains and boil the water and put the grains inside in something and let it linger.

is that an option? how big of a pot will I need for a 5 gallon batch? And where do I find info on pots and techniques?

thanks
You Tube is excellent, watch many videos and come up with what's best for you. I use a 7.5 gall turkey fryer that came with the burner for $59 at Home Depot, and use converted coolers for hlt & mlt. Also, if you haven't all ready, read Palmer's How To Brew, there is a free edition on line, just type the title in Google.

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

You don't have to do full-volume BIAB, if you have another pot, you can heat sparge water in it and then combine or boil separately. THat lets you do a little bigger beer than having to do FVBIAB.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 503

This is what I followed on my first AG.

Deathbrewer's Stovetop All Grain

Turned out wonderful. And best of all, it does not require much of an investment to give it a go.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Zapap. Named after Charlie Papazian from his book, it consists of two buckets. One is a regular bottling bucket, the other has a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom. The holey bucket fits inside the bottling bucket and lauters the grain, like a big goofy colander.

I did this for a couple of years. It works, but it’s slow and prone to getting stuck. Sometimes you have to stir it to get things going. Eventually the holey bucket got brittle and started having pieces break off of it. Oddly, the bottling bucket did not.

So I built a copper manifold to fit the bottling bucket. Much better. I’ve been using that for a couple of years now.

2892.jpg  

Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Elysium
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain View Post
I would not suggest trying to do 5 gallon batches in a 4 or 5 gallon kettle. You really want to boil all of the wort at once to get the hops correct.
Either do smaller batches, or two smaller batches added together to equal 5 gallons.
This is interesting. I guess it is more time-consuming to brew 2 batches to make up the 5 gallon required amount but I guess I have no other option.

Can the 2.5-gallon sit in the fermenter cube till I am preparing the second batch? I guess it will sit there long then...but does that affect the final product in any bad ways?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

I would "invest" in a 10 gallon pot. That's what I used for biab and still use the pot for all grain .
If you like biab then you have then larger pot already. This is from my own experience.

Quick Reply