Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I need a mash schedule for Karameliet Tripple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
vera
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I need a mash schedule for Karameliet Tripple

The recipe has quite a bit of wheat, so I would like to do a protein rest. If I do that, how long and at what temp should I do the sacharific rest?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't recommend doing a protein rest unless you actually need one. If the Kolbach index on your wheat malt is 36 or under, or if total protein is over 13%, then a protein rest may be appropriate. But typically wheat malt is 38+ and 12%, respectively.

I would also recommend a protein rest if the weighted average of your mash's Kolbach is under 36, or if the weighted average is over 13% protein.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
vera
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is the Kolbach index something I can calculate? Or does my homebrew store know this?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Kolbach is a measure of the modification of the malt. It's the ratio of soluble nitrogen to total nitrogen. (Nitrogen = protein). Bags of malt should come with either a "typical" analysis or a batch-specific analysis, and your brew store should have these on file. The exact data varies, but every analysis I've seen gives soluble and total nitrogen, and many will you the Kolbach index.

The long and short of it is, unless you're using a ton of poorly modified wheat malt (like 50%+) or a ton of raw wheat (probably 30%+) a protein rest probably isn't necessary or wise.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS