Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > i mashed at 165 does this affect efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Jonathanquist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default i mashed at 165 does this affect efficiency

I recently found out that my temperature gauge was out of calibration and it was out of calibration by 15 degrees and I have been mashing my beers at that temperature now. Obviously my final gravity's are very high but I was wondering if this temperature would also be affecting my original gravity and also efficiency.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 210

The mash temp will not effect you r OG but will the FG so if you are looking at mash/lauter efficiency then no ill effect but for total brewhouse efficiency, yes as the beers will not reach the desired final gravity and of course this also assumes you met your volumes and everything else taken into consideration.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
crazyirishman34 Likes This 
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Jonathanquist
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Damn I guess I'm doing somethibg else wrong my og efficiency varies from 50%-70% I assume its the LHBS grind now then.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Double-grind it next time and see if that does the trick.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
The mash temp will not effect you r OG but will the FG so if you are looking at mash/lauter efficiency then no ill effect but for total brewhouse efficiency, yes as the beers will not reach the desired final gravity and of course this also assumes you met your volumes and everything else taken into consideration.
I'm not sure that is entirely true. If he is mashing as high as 165F his conversion could be suffering considerably. The majority would be unfermentable which would contribute to his SG but if he is only converting a small percentage of the starch in total his OG would suffer.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Are you testing for full conversion with iodine? Really most of the starches are converted in the first 20 min or so. The rest of the time is allowing the dextrins to be broken down.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer

I'm not sure that is entirely true. If he is mashing as high as 165F his conversion could be suffering considerably. The majority would be unfermentable which would contribute to his SG but if he is only converting a small percentage of the starch in total his OG would suffer.
I suppose there is the possibility, I can't scientifically back up my statement, but from a lot of reading about today's malts I'm of the impression that ya really pretty difficult to not get completed conversion.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
Jonathanquist
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did not do an iodine test however when I first started mashing with what i now assume is a calibrated thermometer I was getting 70-80% efficiency and the last 4 beers I've made have been between 50-65%. I'll update this on Saturday when I brew again. Also my mash may have been as high as 175. My fg have all been at least 1.018 recently and I use a pound of corn sugar in each brew. So I would imagine it being pretty thin.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
sculpin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

175 would denaturate/kill the enzymes so you'd have very little to no conversion at all.

Bitching Wife Brewery

Jonathanquist Likes This 
Old 10-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1910 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 2742

This is an interesting question and one I've wondered about as well. I once posted something similar and was told mash efficiency was not altered by temp. The idea was that sugar is sugar as far as SG goes. Not sure if that is true or not. I do know that higher mash temps result in less fermentable wort, which is a good thing if you're looking for more body but not so good if you want less body in your beer.

Question for the experts. We all know grain mashed at higher temps is less fermentable compared to grain mashed at lower temperature. How and why, does this affect SG?

Quick Reply