Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I loves my new SS braided mash tun!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
surfbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I loves my new SS braided mash tun!

So today I made two 10 gallon batches. One batch of ESB and one of American Amber. I hit my numbers right on the mark and tried my new mash tun for the second time. The first time I used the mash tun the SS braid fell off of the dip tube and I ended up having to transfer the whole mash over to my other mash tun, which is a 10 gallon cooler with a false bottom.

Having solved the problem of the disconnecting braid I tried it again today. Let me just say that I have been using the cooler and false bottom for years and I have been very happy with it. I usually need to vorlauf 5-6 times before it runs clear though and I've been looking for something that works a little better. Well, I've found it. The SS braided hose worked like a champ. From the very start it ran completely clear with good flow. I didn't need re-circulate at all and it stayed attached this time too.

Just thought I'd share since I was pretty damned stoked with it.

Cheers!

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
mysteryberto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really like my SS braid mash tun as well. Be careful with it I had a friend one time stir too vigorously which ended up in a stuck sparge since it crushed the braids.

Straining mash through a screen by hand is not fun, efficient or fast. But it does still work!

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a huge fan of my SS braid design as well. It works like a charm!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
surfbrewer
Recipes 

I hear you about stirring to hard. That's how it popped off the first time, now I have a clamp on it. Also, yesterday when I brewed with it I was teaching a buddy how to brew for the first time. He started to stir pretty vigorously and I had to cool him down before he ripped it off. Still, it worked great and I think I will put one on my other mash tun as well.

Cheers

Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Old 12-30-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had an eventful mash yesterday. I use a tun with a vegetable steamer false bottom. Yesterday I hit the limits of that technology in spades. First off it was a Golden Strong with 17 pounds of grain. Way too much for a 5 gallon cooler but I was planning a step decoction mash anyway so I figured I'd try. First problem, the sparge kept getting slow and stuck.

Second something very weird happened. While I was sparging my way up to nine gallons of wort the whole tun made a kind of popping sound. Three times. I had no idea what it was until I was cleaning up and the steamer stayed in the bottom of the cooler. Turns out the legs had poked through the bottom of the cooler! Now I have three holes in the bottom of my tun. I am assuming only bad things can come from this.

PS The mash turned out great with about 75% eff and the boil went well as well.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
surfbrewer
Recipes 

Sounds like its time to make yourself a nice SS braid. I love the vegetable steamer false bottom thats true homebrewer ingenuity right there.

Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Quick Reply