The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I LOVE waking up to hot strike water. Easy as 1-2-3.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #61
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
So I am using this now in a converted keg heating up 7 gallons of water. Temp at the bottom of the keg where the probe was resting was 19C but the keg felt hot so i tested the water at the top.. it was 47C!!!!! That is a HUGE difference.. anyone having similar results? I'm thinking if I insulate and use with my STC1000 temp controller there will be much less of a temperature gradient.

Thoughts?
Regardless of how well you insulate, unless you are constantly recirculating, you are going to get a temperature gradient from the bottom to the top because heat rises. But it's not a big deal. Just use your mash paddle/spoon/whatever to stir the water up when you are ready to dough in, and it should be pretty close to your intended strike temp.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
So I am using this now in a converted keg heating up 7 gallons of water. Temp at the bottom of the keg where the probe was resting was 19C but the keg felt hot so i tested the water at the top.. it was 47C!!!!! That is a HUGE difference.. anyone having similar results? I'm thinking if I insulate and use with my STC1000 temp controller there will be much less of a temperature gradient.

Thoughts?
I believe most have found that in order to automate an HLT, some form of agitiation is required, with either a mechanical stirrer, a recirculating pump, or even a small air pump bubbler will move the water around for even heat. Unfoutunately it is not as easy as an element and temp control, unless you stir occasionally.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #63
iamjonsharp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

@Eyedoctodd: Thanks for posting this!

I purchased one of the Marshalltown 742g heaters a few weeks ago and had time today to play around with it prior to brew day. I plan on using it with a timer and temp controller to heat mash water to appropriate temp the morning before brew day. It looks like it should be able to heat water to the appropriate mash temp for for a 10 gallon batch well.

Here are the results:
Heated 8 gallons of 45F water in coleman cooler to 170F under 3 hours, about 3 degrees every 4 minutes.

Hit 170F around 2 hours 45 minutes (started timer at 5 hours counting down)

The cooler was slightly ajar due to the power cord. The cooler I have is the 62 qt coleman xtreme.

Was able to have the heater submerged on its side with the top/cord out of the water. Thermometer is on the right side of cooler.

Thanks again!

I'll let you know how it goes on brew day!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #64
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

@iamjonsharp did you measure the temps around your cooler to see if they were inline? I'm curious to see how the temps vary in a flatter cooler (yours) compared to my converted keg. I got a huge difference in temps depending on where my probe was.

life is too short to drink beer you don't love...

Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #65
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
@iamjonsharp did you measure the temps around your cooler to see if they were inline? I'm curious to see how the temps vary in a flatter cooler (yours) compared to my converted keg. I got a huge difference in temps depending on where my probe was.
I did not, as I was mainly interested in getting up to high enough temps to add grain to get to mash temp, and I put my temp probe as far away from the heater as possible. For what it's worth, it has prob been about an hour since I finished the test and the water in the cooler is reading 162F after stirring the water. The lid on the cooler has been closed.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #66
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

I forgot to mention, that my test results comported very well with Todd's spreadsheet (within 10 minutes assuming a Thermal Loss of 1.05).
-Jon

Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #67
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Anyone ever use this timer with the bucket heater? I'm thinking of wiring it into my project box with my STC 1000

http://1000bulbs.com/product/63761/E...productads.com

Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #68
bja
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Anyone ever use this timer with the bucket heater? I'm thinking of wiring it into my project box with my STC 1000

http://1000bulbs.com/product/63761/E...productads.com
What's the advantage over any other timer, except that it costs 5 times as much?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #69
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
What's the advantage over any other timer, except that it costs 5 times as much?
I saw it for 20 bucks and i want an outlet style timer so it fits flush into my project box next to my stc-1000.

EDIT: The ratings had me a little confused.. is this rated for 8 amps? or 15? The bucket heater draws 8 and from my limited understanding of electricity, I'd rather not run full capacity. Correct?

Ratings:
Resistive: 15 A, 120-277 VAC
Tungsten: 15 A, 120 VAC, 6 A, 208-277 VAC
Ballast: 8 A, 120 VAC, 4 A, 208-277 VAC
Motor: 1 HP, 120 VAC, 2 HP, 240 VAC
DC Loads: 4 A, 12 VDS, 2 A, 28 VDS

Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #70
eyedoctodd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Close. The bucket heater draws 8.333A, so just in case you were thinking of feeding it with 8A, don't! I am thinking of adding a second one because I have a 20A circuit available right where I brew in the garage, so I could do some faster heating (like sparge water during the mash), but I might build a heat stick that will go higher than 2kW instead. Obviously going with 2 of these will heat twice as fast but I don't know if that will be fast enough for my sparge water during mash. (Although it would still help reduce propane usage and replace it with cheaper electrical power.)

----------------------------------------------
Eleventy-Three Brewing Co.

Kegged: Tremorvah Tribute Premium Bitter, Grizzly Grundle Pale Ale, Prairie Sentinel American Wheat
Bottled: Brooke's Bliss Irish Stout, Give Bessie Give Milk Stout.
Primary: Eldred Rock Light Northern German Altbier, Nifty Fifty Premium Bitter.
Secondary: Who does that?
On Deck: Maybe another Saison soon.

Quick Reply