Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I LOVE waking up to hot strike water. Easy as 1-2-3.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #41
BBFCreatureFM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Subscribing to this post, because it seems like a brilliant idea, even for a propane and cooler guy. I will continue to monitor everyone's results. This may be worth a shot.

-----------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Blonde
Primary 2: Apricot Belgian Blonde
Primary 3: Ed Wort's Aphelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #42
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger440 View Post
When I know that I am going to brew the next morning, I just crank up the hot water tank the night before. Generally that will put me about 5 degrees +/- of my strike temp.

Good enough for me
Don't they say you generally shouldn't use hot water for consumption?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #43
mrwizard0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

This is an awesome idea! In fact, I liked it so much that I added it to my control panel. I had all the parts except I had to change out one switch. I have tested it and it works, but I haven't done a brew since I added it.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
Don't they say you generally shouldn't use hot water for consumption?
Generally, yes. But my house has a new-ish HWT and PEX piping so not really a big deal. I'd be using regular room-temp water for the sparge anyway, so things should still be okay.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #45
txinga
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome find. Do you think this could be used to step mash also? I use jkarps 2 vessel method with a ten gallon cooler and 15 gallon bk on propane.
This would be great to use to maintain temp while I'm recirculating. Save some cash on propane and don't have to worry about the flame blowing out when running it so low.

txinga

Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #46
txinga
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh, forgot. I have a controller too for the electric part. If this will work that is

Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #47
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can see this as useful for those that brew with electric rigs or have a system that takes forever to heat water. I like many heat my water on a propane burner (I use a turkey fryer burner) and it takes less than 10 minutes to get my strike water to 170 degrees.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #48
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Found one at the local TSC. Will get it after work.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #49
lockwom
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My cheapo analog timer worked great! Rather than combing sparge and strike water, I only preheated strike water (5 gallons) to see how it fared with the predicted 1.5 hours.

I was only off by about 15 degrees, so it was mere minutes before my mash tun was preheated, and my strike water ready. I'd rather aim low than high like this anyhow.

Made my brewday that much easier, thanks for sharing.

And for those considering the cheap analog timers (with proper current ratings), then consider this a positive review. Cheap 'n easy.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #50
JonnyJumpUp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a lot of work for a marginal gain. At least go the extra step and combine this with a thermostat of some kind.

The ST-1000cost me $25 to purchase and to get all wired up. If you plug the STC-1000 into a $10 analog timer that turns say 2 hours before hand you could have strike water at the exact temp and not have to worry about changing ambient temps etc... theres a lot of factors here. A thermostat elimates them and instead of something close you get something exactly right.

Also with the way I brew the first thing I do is fill the HLT and put it on the burner. By the time I carry all my other equipment out, clean it and put the grain in the mash tun the water is within 5-10 degress of where it is. So this wouldn't really save me much....

Quick Reply