The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I love no sparge brewing...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #331
bigjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sacc must have responded with the pH info while I was typing my response.

There you go probably nothing to worry about.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #332
bigjoe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Depends on what I'm brewing and if step (ramp really) mashing... The Brutus 20 is a darn flexible rig.
I suppose my multy rest mashes are ramped also.

I really do like the Brutus.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #333
tdogg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

man im glad i found this thread! i have been thinking about trying something like this, and now i can see that it works well before i even try it. all i really need is a pump. i have a 10 gallon kettle and a 10 gallon cooler mash tun. i have another kettle that i currently use as a HLT for batch sparging, but recirc/no sparge makes sense for medium gravity brews.

question: It looks like most of you have been doing 60 minute mashes. have any of you checked to see if your conversion is getting done quicker? i know some brewers are doing shorter mashes, and checking for complete conversion with iodine. this would help shave even more time off of the brew day. have any of you tried this? also, since you are recirculating with all of your brewing liquor and supposedly its all the same gravity, you could check with a refractomer.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #334
chuckjaxfl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I finally tried this today, with Biermucher's "Nierra Sevada". I guessed, since there's only 10 pounds of grain that I might get 85%. I overshot gravity by four points, ending up at 1.050. Ultimately, I got 90.1% into the fermenter, per Beersmith.

Balancing the liquid flow it not as bad as you would think. Managing the propane was tougher. I recirculated 100% of the time. The best I could manage the temp was between 151-155. I've got a PID. I forsee a 5500w heatstick in my near future.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #335
King112585
Recipes 

So i plan on brewing my first all grain batch this weekend and would like to try the no sparge method. I will be using a 10g converted cooler for my mash tun and plan on brewing 5g of JANET'S BROWN a 1.065 beer using 16lbs of malt (recipe calculated at 70% eff). I wont be recirculating and I'm just curious if (a) my mash tun will be large enough for the malt and additional water, and (b) what my expected efficiency will look like.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #336
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by King112585 View Post
So i plan on brewing my first all grain batch this weekend and would like to try the no sparge method. I will be using a 10g converted cooler for my mash tun and plan on brewing 5g of JANET'S BROWN a 10.065 beer using 16lbs of malt (recipe calculated at 70% eff). I wont be recirculating and I'm just curious if (a) my mash tun will be large enough for the malt and additional water, and (b) what my expected efficiency will look like.

Thanks in advance.
So as I understand it, you are mashing with the entire volume? If so, you're gonna probably need around 6.9 gals. or so pre-boil volume. Your grain will absorb around 2 gals. So 16 lbs of grain and almost 9 gallons of water will be pushing it very close, if not exceeding the capacity.

I don't know what your efficiency will be, it depends on several factors. I recirculate and get around 67-70%. I would expect you could achieve the same with accurate volume measurements and a proper crush.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #337
King112585
Recipes 

Do you think it would be wise to recirculate once at the end? Or would it be smarter to just sparge for a beer of this size?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #338
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by King112585 View Post
Do you think it would be wise to recirculate once at the end? Or would it be smarter to just sparge for a beer of this size?
What I think you are attempting is a Brew in a bag (BIAB) without the bag. There are some threads on it here. I don't think you will gain anything from just recirculating the wort. Nothing more to extract. Check out the BIAB threads. Sparging will definitely help you extract more from the mash, but it requires another vessel. It's a trade-off.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #339
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 13

For those of y'all that use Beersmith to formulate recipes and whatnot, what do y'all have for mash profiles, and equipment profiles. The road block that I am dealing with is mostly with the mash profile. The process I am leaning towards is mash with half the liquor plus the absorption volume of the grains so that I will do the recirculation with half of the pre-boil volume. I am just not sure how to set this up.

So would this be more of a BIAB profile with half the volume or more of a Batch Sparge with equal batches that you don't drain the MLT.

Thanks,
-G

My Brutus 20 build

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

Old 06-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #340
Brewrifle
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So with this method you are totally throwing out the 1.25qt of water /1 LB of grain? I have a HERMS system, but I still do the 1.25/1LB grain mixture while re-circulating and do a fly sparge after 60 mins.

Kegged - Citra Pale Ale, Session Saison, Robust Porter (Nitro), Hoppy Red Ale, Caffrey's Irish Ale clone, Cascadian Dark ale, German Pilsner.
Aging - Bourbon barrel aged RIS,
Primary -
To Brew - TBD

Quick Reply