The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I love no sparge brewing...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
flyangler18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sacch,

I want my March pump toolbox back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Are you draining the MLT by gravity into the BK/heat exchanger, then pumping out and back up into the MLT?
Exactly. Loop flows clockwise in the pic.

One challenge to note, the way the pump is mounted it doesn't want to prime from the BK on its own but if you open the valve, push water through the pump with an autosiphon, and then close the valve on the pump outlet before hooking it up it works like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #13
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Thanks for the pix and eplaining your setup and Aussie BIAB. Me thinks I'll give it a try. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks? ....

Beerman said:
The only bad thing I have to say about this method is it is anti engineering I really like building my own equipment and experimenting with new equipment. Gives me a great excuse to spend the day in the garage to drink the fruit of my labor.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

I spent plenty of time, money, and trips to Home Depot to put this together so I wouldn't say it goes against expanding the brewery, but I do love how it simplifies the whole process to its simplest possible level. I'm also contemplating how I could do this with a Blichmann 20 without drilling into the kettle to add the nipple since that will probably be my next upgrade (the Blichmann has a better sight glass and better heat retention that will make it ideal for RIMS).

This upcoming weekend I will be running the system in no sparge mode but I will be chilling. We will see how much time that adds... I am guessing about 30 minutes.

Quote:

Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
ibbones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice process. Cant wait to see it. I'll have a camera and notepad in hand.

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

moethingb Likes This 
Old 10-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
shoebag22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

totally new to this and just trying to visualize the process. Do you continually circulate? In essence a continual sparge?

"...bring your green hat."

Following Seas Brewery

Old 10-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebag22 View Post
totally new to this and just trying to visualize the process. Do you continually circulate? In essence a continual sparge?
Yes just like in a HERMS the mash liquid is recirculated throughout the mash. It starts out cloudy and becomes clear as the starches get converted into sugars... kinda neat to watch actually. By the time you start the boil the wort is already crystal clear, you could read a book through the gravity sample.

Quote:

Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
shoebag22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any reason this wouldn't work with a 10 gallon batch if you have a big enough brew kettle? Would that cooler be able to handle a 10 gallon batch?

Following Seas Brewery

Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
cookietruck
Recipes 

these temperatures in austin are perfect right now. i watched the weather forecast and knew the temps were going to be in the 60's starting friday.
i brewed thursday. single sparge. total time was 3.5 hours. cooled the wort to about 85* and stuck in ice bath that is in garage thrusday night.
friday morning the fermenter temp was 62* so i pitched pack of US05. the fermenter has stayed at 63* for the last three days with very minimal work.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
shoebag22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
The sparge manifold in the cooler is a 3' piece of reinforced PVC tubing from Home Depot with holes drilled every 1/2" and a plug in the end. It's connected to a nipple sandwich which comes through the lid just like the pot lid. I forgot to snap a photo of it I'll post one next time I have the rig out.

In the kettle I have a 10" braid connected to the spigot for the pickup. A 90* elbow screwed into the F-F of the weldless fitting kit would work just as well if you have the patience to whirlpool and let it settle before pumping out.

I don't see the need for the braid in the kettle. don't you want any grain particles that make it out of the cooler and in to the kettle to get circulated back in to the cooler?

Following Seas Brewery

Quick Reply