Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I love Dry Yeast
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
BrothersBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I love Dry Yeast

It just seems to work better!

in the past ive waited days for liquid yeast to start fermentation... but seems every time i use you dry yeast i just pour it in, an hour or two later its chugging away...

why is this? i never really given much thought ..

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I'm right there with you. I'm a staunch advocate of dry yeast whenever it's applicable!

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 08-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

+1 to dry yeast, plus it's like 7 bucks cheaper!! So when I tell SWMBO that I'm brewing to save money...

Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
jschaf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah dry yeast is badass. my favorite part is the last step; sprinkling the dry yeast in all trashed like I'm seasoning some grilled chicken.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballbrewer View Post
It just seems to work better!

in the past ive waited days for liquid yeast to start fermentation... but seems every time i use you dry yeast i just pour it in, an hour or two later its chugging away...

why is this? i never really given much thought ..
Dry yeast packages have a much higher cell count than liquid yeast packages-- that's why fermentation is visible much faster. If you were to make a starter with liquid yeast to increase the cell count, you'd see an equally fast start to fermentation.

-Steve
Planning: n/a

Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
Dry yeast packages have a much higher cell count than liquid yeast packages-- that's why fermentation is visible much faster. If you were to make a starter with liquid yeast to increase the cell count, you'd see an equally fast start to fermentation.

-Steve
Exactly. What a PITA! So, $7 for the vial or smack pack, ??$ for the DME, two extra days waiting to brew, blah blah blubbity blah. Yeas, liquid yeast has its place. Like I said, I use dry yeast whenever the style of beer I'm brewing lets me.

Steve's right, though. Why wast your money on liquid yeast unless you put in the effort and make a starter?

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 08-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Exactly. What a PITA! So, $7 for the vial or smack pack, ??$ for the DME, two extra days waiting to brew, blah blah blubbity blah. Yeas, liquid yeast has its place. Like I said, I use dry yeast whenever the style of beer I'm brewing lets me.

Steve's right, though. Why wast your money on liquid yeast unless you put in the effort and make a starter?
I grew up learning to brew in the early 90's, so the "liquid yeast is better than dry" meme is fixed in my consciousness. I did use some dry yeast last year for a quick brew, and I must say it worked very well and was definitely as good as liquid. S-04, if I recall correctly. I would definitely use dry in the future as appropriate for the style.

I've been doing starters in an Erlenmeyer flask now, and that makes them *much* easier to deal with.

-Steve
Planning: n/a

Old 08-08-2009, 03:20 AM   #8
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I started with dry, went to liquid and starters in an erlenmeyer (which I agree, Steve, is much easier) and now I'm sort of leaning back to dry.

I will say that for beers above about 1.070 i prefer to use liquid and make a starter and then a bigger starter (or a few separate starters). With big beers, I've had better luck pitching those than dry yeasts, even the "high alcohol tolerant" dry yeasts, Danstar Nottingham.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I originally used liquid and starters. After using dry yeast to move a stuck fermentation, I kept some around. Used it more and more often, so by my second year of brewing I rarely used liquid any more. Now it's like driving, I use the van unless there is a very good reason (snow, flooding, need to move dirt) to use the 4x4. Haven't used liquid in four years. Sure, it limits the styles I can brew, but those other styles are in the "I drink them at club meetings" category. I doubt I'll ever make a Belgian, even used S-04 in the Bière de Garde.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
jschaf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used s-04 for the first time in a porter-ish beer recently. It's been in the primary 9 days and since it ferments so fast (3-4 days it was complete), are there any issues leaving it longer in there? This is the first darker beer i've made as well. Just wondering about the darker, heavier beers with the dry yeast.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply