Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I hate asking but...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
Conan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Are you batch of fly sparging? Just curious.

I built a very basic spreadsheet with which to log my brews, and the most useful aspect of that sheet is a 'water needed' section.

Water Needed | Wort Recovered
7.8 pounds grain |
=A2*1.25 quarts | Circumference Depth
=A3/4 gallons | 14.5 5.5
| Cubic Inches _> =PI()*(D4/2)^2*E4 =D5/231

The above are my formulas, set for 1.25 qts/ lb. Basically, input pounds of grain and it spits out gallons required. The stuff on the right is a simply volume recovered table using cylinder volume (pi*r^2*h) for my 14" diameter kettle.

BeerSmith will do the water needed calculation much more sveltly but I find it nice to double-log everything with Excel. Plus I don't have to search through menus looking for the proper tool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 AM   #12
lespaul23
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Are you batch of fly sparging? Just curious.
Was thinking about making 2 coolers for fly sparging but money and space is tight so im thinking about just making a mash tun and batch sparging for now.

Too much to list going on.....

Kevin

Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Since you are batch sparging, subtract how much liquid you get from the mash from preboil amount you want,that will tell you how much water to sparge with.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 772 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul23 View Post
Was thinking about making 2 coolers for fly sparging but money and space is tight so im thinking about just making a mash tun and batch sparging for now.
Since money and space is tight why don't you look into Brew in a Bag. I started with that in my 5 gallon pot that I had for extract brewing and just did a 2 1/2 gallon batch to try it out. The only extra that I would have needed was the paint strainer bags if my local store had a mill but since they didn't I bought a Corona style mill for another $25 and I was brewing all grain. I liked it so well that I bought a turkey fryer so I could brew the 5 gallon batches but that wasn't really expensive either. I think I put a total of about $100 and have been brewing with that setup for a couple years now.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
lespaul23
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was thinking of biab I have a 24x24 mesh bag and a 8gal pot but I dont have a valve on my kettle and dont want to mess around with pasta strainers or anything. Plus im working on a electric stove and a cooler would keep a better constant temp. And im getting the itch to buy/make some new equiptment. Lol

Too much to list going on.....

Kevin

Old 01-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 772 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul23 View Post
I was thinking of biab I have a 24x24 mesh bag and a 8gal pot but I dont have a valve on my kettle and dont want to mess around with pasta strainers or anything. Plus im working on a electric stove and a cooler would keep a better constant temp. And im getting the itch to buy/make some new equiptment. Lol
Remember that part about money being tight? BIAB is really cheap and with the lower cost of all grain you can pay it off really quickly. You don't have to mess with pasta strainers but they do make it easier. You can just pull the bag out and let it drain while you hold it or drop it into another pot to get a little more wort out of it but your efficiency will be pretty decent without any extra work. One of the benefits of BIAB is you use the full volume of water so you have the extra mass to help hold heat. With just a little insulation (I use a bath towel) and a shorter conversion time if you get your grains double milled or ground fine you should be able to hold the temperature within a degree or 2.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If batch sparging it helps to make a dip stick for your boil kettle. Just get a yard stick and take the time to measure out quart increments up the stick. Then after you drain your first runnings, dip the stick in and it will tell you exactly how much sparge water you need to hit preboil volume, since you will be getting back everything you put in for sparging.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

1.33 using this calculator for volumes, strike temp and what not.....http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php
I leave all of the presets and just adjust the grain temps and mash temp. Its always very close to my final volume. Probably any variances are caused by my boil but its not much.

Brew What You Drink!

Quick Reply