Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I didn't hit my OG!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
mlbco1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default I didn't hit my OG!!!

I am a newbie all grain brewer. In fact I just brewed Northern Brewer's Irish Red Ale yesterday. Recipe calls for 1.044 OG but I only got 1.036. It's in the primary fermenting away so I don't think there's much I can do. Just wondering if there will be any negative effects. Also, I tasted a sample of the the sweet wort. It was really sweet and had a grainy flavor. Is this batch doomed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
watsons27
Recipes 

No it will be fine. Less alcohol and it will be out of style but I bet it will be your favorite beer you have brewed it will just take a lot to get you Drunk

9D. Irish Red Ale

Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.

Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.

Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.

Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.

Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.

Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.

Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.044 - 1.060 1.010 - 1.014 17 - 28 9 - 18 4.0 - 6.0%

Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
watsons27
Recipes 

Also age will not help drink fresh as you can

Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
mlbco1
Recipes 

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I will bottle condition and drink it "fresh". Are there any adjustments you suggest so I hit my OG in my next batch? I am going to brew Midwest Supplies Hop Head Double IPA.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

1. Crush your own grain
2. Find all your loss points, dead space, etc. minimize these.
3. Double check your weights and measures
4. Stir like there is no tomorrow. Make sure the entire grain bed is evenly soaked, no dough balls.
5. Take pre-boil gravity. Calculate where you need to be at post-boil. You can either go for target og with fewer gallons, or lower og and keep batch size. Either way, adjust hops. Depends what is important to you. No "right"answer, unless you are sticking rigidly to style.

What is your setup?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
remuS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen View Post
1. Crush your own grain
2. Find all your loss points, dead space, etc. minimize these.
3. Double check your weights and measures
4. Stir like there is no tomorrow. Make sure the entire grain bed is evenly soaked, no dough balls.
5. Take pre-boil gravity. Calculate where you need to be at post-boil. You can either go for target og with fewer gallons, or lower og and keep batch size. Either way, adjust hops. Depends what is important to you. No "right"answer, unless you are sticking rigidly to style.

What is your setup?
I agree here. Milling my own grain gave me the largest boost in efficiency. I was adding an extra couple pounds of grain every time I brewed with precrushed grains (from MoreBeer). Once I got my Barley Crusher I hit a higher efficiency then I ever had.

I never really understood what 'dough ball's people were referring to with precrushed grains.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
rpe290
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbco1 View Post
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I will bottle condition and drink it "fresh". Are there any adjustments you suggest so I hit my OG in my next batch? I am going to brew Midwest Supplies Hop Head Double IPA.
Just have some light DME on hand to bump it up a bit?

Or get another lb of base malt grain?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Phyrst
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpe290 View Post
Just have some light DME on hand to bump it up a bit?

Or get another lb of base malt grain?
This was going to be my suggestion. Have some DME on hand and if you don't hit your OG just dump some in there.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This sticky has some good info/suggestions in it: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/atte...brewers-30466/

Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am a PM brewer, until my boilermaker is delivered. I double crush my grains, i measure my volume and SG pre boil and add DME as required to hit my target gravity after top off.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS