Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I couldnt believe my ears!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My girlfriend is interested and loves having good beer around, but ultimately she views brewing as hard work. Sometimes she helps, but most of the time shed rather me schedule a brew day when she has something else to do. Shes a trooper though, I recently had a shoulder surgery and couldnt lift anything >20 lbs, so she did all my lifting for about a dozen brew sessions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #32
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsnthelou View Post
but I think what he really likes most is bragging rights with his work buddies, " oh ya well my wife brews beer "
too funny !
brings tears to my eyes... would LOVE to be able to say this

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

brewsnthelou Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #33
captaincoffee
Recipes 

Wife...help...me... Sorry, I'm not familiar with this phrase. Are you sure you are spelling it correctly? Perhaps it a translation from a foreign language? If you are using google translate, sometimes they come up with some funny translations for things that make sense in your native tongue.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #34
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

At first,I'd just have her help me when an extra hand or two would make things easier. She liked every beer I made,& it became part of our quiet time. Cigs,home brew,& videos was our time. She'd be excited when the new batch was finally ready. She said a few times that she preferred mine to commercial. Then,come tax time a year or two ago,she said she wanted to go into the beer supply with me. Floored me right quick. She was looking at some newly stocked BB kits & I told her to pick any one she wanted to brew. I also at that point decided we needed the BB ale pail,the plastic paddle,more hop socks...everything needed for two to brew at once. She got pretty good at the whole process of extract with steeping grains. Bottling day she learned filling ,capping,etc. Made it go pretty fast.
Flash forward to a few months ago. Gestational diabeties from our last child some 14 years ago came back & bit her hard. So much for smoking & drinking. Says it makes her sick as a type 1. Now I'm all alone. No brew partner,no buddie,no us time save for upstairs with a couple movies before zonk out.
But at least partial mash is working out steadilly,got a new style to play with thanks to a fellow member & Cooper's user. I'm glad for that. sharing recipes,thoughts & the like as we go. I just wish they had a cure for my wife. She could match beers & shots with any man,maybe better than many.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #35
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1086 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

My wife is not much of a fan of beer and wishes that I wouldn't talk about, brew, or drink as much as I do (which isn't all that much if you ask me). In the end, she only has herself to blame since she is the one that bought me my starter kit. I've gotten real good at the whole process and have won medals for every beer I have entered into comp. The wife even drinks and enjoys a few of mine occaisonally, but she will never be interested in the process and like lots of others, I'm glad I have my "me" time.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #36
brewsnthelou
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
At first,I'd just have her help me when an extra hand or two would make things easier. She liked every beer I made,& it became part of our quiet time. Cigs,home brew,& videos was our time. She'd be excited when the new batch was finally ready. She said a few times that she preferred mine to commercial. Then,come tax time a year or two ago,she said she wanted to go into the beer supply with me. Floored me right quick. She was looking at some newly stocked BB kits & I told her to pick any one she wanted to brew. I also at that point decided we needed the BB ale pail,the plastic paddle,more hop socks...everything needed for two to brew at once. She got pretty good at the whole process of extract with steeping grains. Bottling day she learned filling ,capping,etc. Made it go pretty fast.
Flash forward to a few months ago. Gestational diabeties from our last child some 14 years ago came back & bit her hard. So much for smoking & drinking. Says it makes her sick as a type 1. Now I'm all alone. No brew partner,no buddie,no us time save for upstairs with a couple movies before zonk out.
But at least partial mash is working out steadilly,got a new style to play with thanks to a fellow member & Cooper's user. I'm glad for that. sharing recipes,thoughts & the like as we go. I just wish they had a cure for my wife. She could match beers & shots with any man,maybe better than many.
Best wishes for your wife, my hubby was diagnosed with diabetes also, so now he'll have one beer and he's good. Reminds me of the old George Thoroughgood song, " I drink alone, yah with nobody else.... You know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself " lol
Cheers!

"BEER...the other white meat"

Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #37
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My brew days are like my sex life....i do them both myself.

Actually, my wife helps out a lot on brew days. She takes the kids and leaves.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #38
abatsch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My wife will make fun of me when I talk about beer or brewing because I will get really into it. She'll walk up to the pot and make funny sarcastic remarks like "ohh so hoppy you're brewing" or look into the beer and talk kind of dirty to it by saying "I wanna dry hop the sh!t out of you". It amuses me so I don't mind. But it's also nice she don't complain.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #39
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My wife has no interest....although my 8 year old son likes to help me bottle.....when I can pull him away from Xbox!

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #40
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 84

My wife had loved to help with the bottling. On brew day she always comments how good the kitchen smells after the hop additions. Also comments on how the different hops have noticeably different aromas. Her nose sense is much better than mine. After hurting my shoulder a month ago; she now pours, stirs, carries, and caps. It is great having such a loving partner.

Quick Reply