Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I cloned a monster!...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 AM   #21
E_mott09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Oh right.. the water department.. Thanks.

So on a side note, there appears to be a Simcoe drought in Chicago. The two LHBS I know of said I could use chinook. Do you guys think I should bother brewing this or should I wait and brew something else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #22
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_mott09 View Post
Oh right.. the water department.. Thanks.

So on a side note, there appears to be a Simcoe drought in Chicago. The two LHBS I know of said I could use chinook. Do you guys think I should bother brewing this or should I wait and brew something else?
Try here:

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.co...?idCategory=21

I actually dry hopped this w/ some leaf Chinook, which shares some characteristics of Simcoe, but like the song says "Ain't nothing like the real thing..."

-d

Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #23
logdrum
Recipes 

BTW I just sampled my most recent iteration of this-while obviously (intentionally)-not an exact clone, it is an awesome IIPA. Simcoe used as a bittering hop adds a smooth yet full quality unlike just about any other hop. Definitely a repeat recipe.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #24
E_mott09
Recipes 

I brewed this on thursday. Everything went really well. I had people over and had a BBQ, it was a great day. Out of the hundreds of things I felt like I had to do that day I only forgot one. Unfortunately a pretty important one. I didn't take an OG reading. Not exactly heart broken tho. One thing I don't quite understand yet is how I calculated 110 IBUs. I understand their is a huge difference between calculated and actual IBUs, but I'm wondering why I calculated so many when some calculators I have in some software only calculated 80.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #25
bthomas9
Recipes 

What are you using to calculate?

Did you brew using your Hopville recipe?

bottles: Red Light BIPA, Ruination Clone, Mids Pale v3, v2, Deception Sweet Stout V1, V2

Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #26
logdrum
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_mott09 View Post
I brewed this on thursday. Everything went really well. I had people over and had a BBQ, it was a great day. Out of the hundreds of things I felt like I had to do that day I only forgot one. Unfortunately a pretty important one. I didn't take an OG reading. Not exactly heart broken tho. One thing I don't quite understand yet is how I calculated 110 IBUs. I understand their is a huge difference between calculated and actual IBUs, but I'm wondering why I calculated so many when some calculators I have in some software only calculated 80.
Your calculated efficiency will affect the IBUs. This recipe was designed for about 80 IBUs ( I got about 84 using Amarillo ) for about a 1:1 BU/GU. Let me know how it turns out.

-d

Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #27
E_mott09
Recipes 

Yes I brewed the hopville recipe. When I do the calculations by hand from that hop schedule I get 110 IBUs. I got the equation from a book called the Brewmaster's Bible. That book tells you to multiply the oz of hops by it's alpha acid %. Then multiply that by the utilization% which is given in the book. The utilization %'s range from 5-30% for 5-60 minute boils. Then when you get that answer divide it by 7.25. It would look like this for a 1.5oz bittering addition of simcoe 12% AA.

(1.5X12)x30=540
540/7.25=74.48

So just my bittering addition contributed 74.48 IBUs according to that.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #28
logdrum
Recipes 

I have that book as well! Although I do most of my recipes w/ Homebrew Formulator (a free Mac program). I'm not gonna dispute the math, but the batch I made is no way 110IBUs. How's the wort taste? Straight out of the fermentor, mine was a tad rough, but after a week in the keg, it's really come together.

-d

Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #29
E_mott09
Recipes 

I think it's a great book, well maybe aside from the IBU equation... Have you tried any of the recipes in it? I have not.

Anyways, I'm going to keep it sealed up until fermentation is all done. I'll post when I taste it. When did you Bree this? Recently?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #30
logdrum
Recipes 

I've brewed it twice, the last batch was on the 9th of July

Quick Reply