Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I am not intimidated by all-grain!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default I am not intimidated by all-grain!

I went to a beginners class at my local brew store and the teacher was excellent and made an 11 gallon batch. We did the whole thing soup to nuts in about 5 hours. I REALLY want to get into all grain now that I've seen the class! The only thing that is holding me back is the price of the equipment! Looks to be at least around $500 even for converted kegs! Yiikes! Maybe for Christmas? I keep looking at CraigsList!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
DavidHawman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check this out: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-90132/

I use that method and it cost me all of $55 to go from extract to all grain. $5 for the nylon bag and $50 for the 7.5 gallon brew kettle. On my second try I got 70% efficiency. I am sure it can only get better as I practice.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
mezak1gd
Recipes 

dude just get a cooler with a stainless steel braid and some vinyl tubing. $17+ $8= $25. The pot is the expensive part but I just bought a turkey fryer w/ aluminum pot for $50. That worked fine until I found a nice 10 gallon pot at a garage sale for $5. Thats really all the equipment you need. Also at least a decent thermometer is very important. I am currently in college (broke) and and apartment (space limited) and that works for me now. I've made about 20 batches and every one has been great. Of course as soon as I get my own place though there's going to be some serious upgrading.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
HodgsonsBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ya check out youtube and you will see alot of AG brewing done in converted coolers, even how to convert the cooler!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
I went to a beginners class at my local brew store and the teacher was excellent and made an 11 gallon batch. We did the whole thing soup to nuts in about 5 hours. I REALLY want to get into all grain now that I've seen the class! The only thing that is holding me back is the price of the equipment! Looks to be at least around $500 even for converted kegs! Yiikes! Maybe for Christmas? I keep looking at CraigsList!
You can probably get a turkey fryer and cooler mash tun setup for between $100-$200. If you never brewed and need to get the basic brewing equipment it'll be a bit more. I've seen kits for as low as $85 not including mash tun or kettle.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Deathbrewers Easy Stovetop method. search for it.

There are many ways to make GREAT beer and they aren't all expensive.

I do all grain in a tiny kitchen. I use two pots, 4 and 5 gallons each. I have one cooler I use for my tun. I use a chiller I made but often use the 'no-chill' method.

sure, when I move out of this apartment, I'll be looking to upgrade. but for now, I'm happy to be able to make beer using grains.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
DizzyPants
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

YOU are a go getter. I thought I would hang with extract in our good sized condo and call it that. NOT.

Learning watching more brought me to all grain over a year.

You did it in one night. Watch the threads, read, convert a cooler and you will be good. Enjoy great beers!

~Diz

Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The equipment pays for itself in my opinion, especially with all-grain. I don't really buy much commercial beer since I started brewing, and batches cost in the 20-25 dollar range. I was spending 8 bucks a six pack for good craft brew...8*4 = $32 a case!!! My 25 dollar batch = $12.50 a case, that's half savings right there. Sure the outlay is pricey, but when I look at it this way I will have saved myself money after brewing for years.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

When I went all grain last year, I was already doing full batches using a 30qt turkey fryer that went for $50-60 I think.

Not factoring that cost in all I really needed was an MLT. I built the one using FlyGuy's design for $80 so basically I went from extract to AG for $80.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
Yeah definitely keep an eye on CL. I got all of my stuff for less than 200 bucks on CL...

Quick Reply