Hyrdometer Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holmesbrewer

Reaction score
I have noticed the last several batches not finishing well. Previously, we have been able to finish our ales at 1.011. The last 4 have not gone below 1.018.
Beersmith estimate them to be in the low teens.
Nothing has changed as far as technique, and we have used different yeasts with each one.
I typically leave the beer in the primary for 10 days, check and move to carboy.
I remembered that I had replaced my hydrometer a few weeks ago, so I checked it in water and came up with 1.005. Shouldn't that be 1.0000?
If so, does that mean the hydormeter is out of calibration?
BTW, we have been hitting our OG estimates.

Try using distilled water to test your hydro and compare. If you still get a 1.005 using distilled then, yes, your hydro is off. Nothing else you can do at that point other than deduct the error from each reading.

Or buy a new hydro and risk it being off too.

It is rare, but possible, that the mineral content of your water could be high. I wouldn't expect that high but it is worth checking. IMO.

Temperature matters. Most Hydrometers are calibrated at 60f. What temp was the water you tested?

Tested at 65 degrees, BUT that is the temp I always measure at, so it should be consistantly incorrect.
Probably get OG at 75 degrees.

I doubt the water quality/ mineral amount has changed.

I keep an extra hydro for emergencies (broke 4 iin the last 10 months), will check the two against eachother.

Back