Hydrometers, ESB, Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drksky

Reaction score
I brewed an ESB last weekend that has the follow basic recipe:

5.5 gallon batch
9 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs med. crystal
2 oz Willamette at 60
1 oz Goldings at 15
1 oz Goldings at 5
1 pkg S-04, direct pitch

Mashed 153 for 60 minutes, 10 minute mashout at 168.

OG was a little low at 1.044

I've always had some trouble reading a standard triple scale hydrometer so I got one of the "lab grade" ones, scale is 1.000 to 1.070.

I was taken aback by the reading on the new hydro after 6 days: 1.007. Isn't this a tad low for an ESB? Measured with the triple scale it's 1.010, not much difference. Although, it's curious that they're not agreeing.

I did a recirculating mash on the stove, using a bi-metal thermometer measuring the temp at the exit of the mash tun before it hit the pump. No wild swings in temperature during the mash.

Am I doing myself a disservice measuring the liquid wort coming out of the tun and not the mash grain itself? I'd have figured that with a 153 mash temp. that the FG would be much higher than it is.

Edit: Although Beersmith says it's right where it should be for an ESB. Well, maybe a little low.

Back