Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hybrid Fly Sparge Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 AM   #101
CPFITNESS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so if i'm fly sparging but barely had an inch of water on top of the grain and sometimes less is that a major problem? I'm having a hard time figuring out efficiency because i think my hydrometer is WAY off on it's readings. it's telling me 70* water is 1.008so I think I'm getting false high readings on original gravity. I'll wait and see where this batch finishes at before I get too worried.

I have a sprinkler head attachment in the lid of my 10 gallon cooler and that is fed from my HLT through a ball valve. It's a bit of a guessing game trying to get the flow rates right. my first batch i did bucket in bucket method and that beer came out great. My first batch with the cooler tun just got bottled today so I won't know how good it is for a couple weeks. just did latest brew yesterday and I did take my time with the sparge I just only let about an inch of water get on top, not 2 or 3

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #102
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

BierMuncher - thanks for posting. Going to try this method (hope I got it all clear) next time brewing.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #103
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

OG went down a bit. Back to batch sparging or maybe something in between.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #104
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I just brewed a BDSA expecting 65% efficiency and 1.078 OG. I used the method outlined by wildwest above, and got 84% efficiency and OG of 1.098. I'll definitely do this for big beers, but I'm not sure its worth the hassle for medium and lower gravity beers. That's my best efficiency yet, though!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #105
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Just updated the original post with a quick video of my ugly bucket in action.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #106
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I use this method thanks to this thread, and I have to say I get great results. Usually efficiency in the high 80s with the corona-style mill I was using. Possibly more with the new Barley Crusher I just got.

I'm curious about the hot water bucket in your video. What are those metal doodads sticking out of the side for?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #107
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Haha, I had no idea I was using the BM "sauce ladle quick fly sparge method" all this time!

I float a Tupperware lid on top of my sparge water in my MLT and slowly pour in 180* water on top of it. Great minds think alike?

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #108
TucsonBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Question for the group, I get the impression that the efficiency in fly sparging is largely influenced by the quantity of sparge water. Is that correct? I tried fly sparging last weekend for the first time using Palmer's method of pouring water onto a plastic lid floating in the mashtun. I spent 30 to 45 minutes draining/adding sparge water to get to my boil volume. I ended up with an efficiency of only 65% which was less than the 70% I was getting from batch sparging. Having read through this thread I see a few areas where my efficiency could have suffered and am trying to figure out what modifications to my approach would be most beneficial. The first area is that prior to sparging I did a substantial infusion of water to attempt mash out. I waited 10 minutes and then started sparging with my remaining water. Between my mash water (1.5 qt per pound of grain) and the infusion to mash out I only had about 1.25 gallons of water left to sparge with. It sounds like most people are sparging with a lot more water. Do I want to have more water even if I am not going to drain it all into my boil pot? The second thing is that I was not focused on adding water at the same rate as I was draining. I was more concerned about the rate of flow coming out of the tun. With my mashout infusion the water level was well above the grain bed so I thought that would be ok. I appreciate any advice as to where I may have gone wrong. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #109
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Mash with less. I don't do a mashout, but drain the first runnings and bring the temp up immediately to avoid your problem. Sparge volume also help is batch sparging. Even if you still mash out, a thicker mash will take less water to bring up to mashout, leaving you with more sparge water all around.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #110
mikemet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Just updated the original post with a quick video of my ugly bucket in action.
Im going to ask my wife to hold this string from the second floor bedroom for an hour while I sparge... she'll love the idea.

But this is a really helpful thread. It has me thinking and thinking-

After 3 extracts, 3 Biab indoor and 2 AG outdoor with a mashtun- I am STILL figuring out things that are going to be very helpful-

The funny thing is- all of the basic stuff usually has peoples heads boggled. The process is really simple. The graphic you posted is ideal - thats exactly what is happening when hotter water is pushing down the cooler wort-

I am brewing tomorrow and using some more info in this thread to really blow out an awesome batch

Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

BierMuncher Likes This 

Quick Reply